The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mast for sale - now sold
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:06 pm 

Chipstow mast for sale

This is the only IC mast that Chipstow made...light and responsive. Professionally repaired after last year's Worlds..but still proven fast this summer - 1st UK Nationals 2018, 1st Fed Week 2018....
Fully rigged with wire shrouds and dyneema forestay, internal mast head lock (Selden), swinging spreaders, articulating Selden gooseneck, carbon track, and carbon spreader bracket.
The mast is in good condition, and has been stored undercover throughout the winter.

£850

Last edited by Dreamcatcher on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mast for sale
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:35 am 

Hi;

What diameter do you use for the dyneema forestay? and is it a real good idea ? Did somebody try to use dyneema for the uppers on an AC?

Thanks

gilles

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 pm 

I use 6mm dyneema..SK78....so that limits the stretch and is lighter than wire. Its also easy to adjust the length. I also used 4mm dyneema on the cap shrouds of my AC, which was more than adequate.

Gaz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm 

No need to go as big as 6mm, The breaking load on 3mm Marlow D12 is 855Kg if your getting remotely close to that on your forestay then you are doing something wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm 

Thanks a lot.

how to avoid the chafing at the end of the spreader ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm 

I used 6mm to make sure that I didnt get any stretch....i wasnt bothered by aerodynamics because it sat inside the zipped luff anyway....but I now realize I could have gone lighter, thinner, cheaper, and faster......aghhhhh :P

I just used a lot of tape around the end of the spreaders to stop chaffing. I think that i might have also used some thin flexy tube to go over the cap shrouds where it met the spreaders.

I think that Steve is going to write an article on how he is using a piece of the finest Welsh sheepskin, bought in Pembrokeshire, to stop chaffing.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 pm 

:D you are wrong, he is in greece. But they know also very well using finest Welsh sheepskin :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mast for sale - now sold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm 

If I may just apply a couple of observations here; Dreamcatchers caps are in fact 3mm dyneema and are perfectly adequate. Gaz did use some thin plastic tube at the spreader ends for anti-chafe, the tube was taped to the spreader end, with the taped end also softening the spreader end for those occasions when the kite gets wrapped around it. This has stood the test of time with the cap rope free to slide up and down, allowing for the dictates of differing shroud tensions. I have noted also that Chris Maas has used thin plastic tube on the spreader ends of the New Rules IC spreaders to similarly act as a fairlead for the wire shrouds, in this case, using thin stainless seizing wire to hold the shroud in place. The wire end is neatly tucked in. It seems sensible for the shroud to be able to move a little at the spreader end, through a fairlead.

Profile E-mail