Elastic take-up systems

Use this forum if you are after advice on sailing your canoe
charlie1502

Elastic take-up systems

Post by charlie1502 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi all, I need some form of elastic take-up system for for kicker, whats everyones opinion on the best way to achieve this?

TimClark

Post by TimClark » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:43 am

I have an eyestrap screwed down onto the aft deck with 2 micro blocks attached to it. I attach an elastic from the tail of the port kicker control, run it back through the block and then attach the other end of the elastic to the tail of the starboard kicker control. The other block is for my other control lines and they are also rigged in a similar fashion.

TC

Gareth

Re: Elastic take-up systems

Post by Gareth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:05 pm

I have the elastic take-up in my seat as the kicker is led to the ends of the seat.

Phil Robin

Re: Elastic take-up systems

Post by Phil Robin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:26 pm

My experience is if you just have elastic linking the port and starboard side, there is insufficient take-up when the kicker is pulled on a reasonable amount. So I advocate a separate system for each side of the control line with a 1:2 on the control line rope (so that double the amount of rope is taken up) and 3mm elastic attached running to a small fairlead towards the back of the sliding seat rails and forward to near the shrouds. I have found there is no need for any pulleys - just use some 25mm diameter plastic rings that Holt-Allen make - works a treat! :)
Phil
K 41 Conquest
GBR 328 Little Scarlet