The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Seat Pullers?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 pm 

Does anyone have any advice on seat pullers. I'm struggling to move my seat aft on my Nethercott, moving it forward is much easier. My initial thought was a simple 2:1, dead ended on the carriage mainsheet fitting back to a single block somewhere behind the tracks and back to a cleat on the carriage. But this is another thing to get feet tangled in (which I'm pretty good at) at critical moments.

Also, any suggestions on simple systems to move the mainsheet strops along the boom depending on the seat position?

Thanks for any help,
Ben

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seat Pullers?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 am 

Hi Ben
Several people have seat pullers as you describe, don't normally need a cleat though. I find that if I grab the loose main sheet (all purchases in one hand ) and pull back that works OK but its not perfect.
There are many ways of setting up the main sheet strops so they automatically go up and down the boom, I have a simple manual adjustment, others link it to the carriage and some find that you can just let it float or you could just fix it in the average up wind position
Come to the nationals and you will find examples of several different set ups...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm 

Thanks alistair, yes I plan to be at the Nationals so will be doing a little detective work!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:09 pm 

Hi Ben,

Like many others, I don't have a seat-puller, but a seat restraint, i.e. I lift my weight off the seat/carriage and manually pull the carriage back and then pull on the restraint line through a cleat. The restraint runs from the underside of the for'd end of the carriage around a block aft on the deck and back to the for'd side of the carriage where there is a cleat. Main purpose is to prevent the carriage moving forward when hitting a wave or under the action of the mainsheet when gybing.

I did have a pull-back on one of my earlier canoes which comprised ball bearing cars on the underside of the carriage (similar to those used for self-tacking jibs but bigger). Worked well if you kept sand and other dirt out, but required a lot of maintenance, and I regularly had delron balls running over the deck when stripping the system down.

Keep it simple, then it'll work.

Peter

Profile E-mail