The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lower stays
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 am 

I have composite Ellis / Brown OD canoe which I haven't sailed for a good few years and want to get it back on the water for 2014.
A while back I added a self tacking jib track and at the same time cut off the bottom of the mast and made it deck mounted. I don't know why I did this but the boat sailed fine for a good year without any issues. Mast is a proctor aluminium one. Having looked at pictures on the net there seams to be a lot of boats with lower stays. Because my mast is deck mounted should I fit some lower says to my canoe? I have removed the ability to slacked the lee shroud down wind as it seamed to high risk for my sailing. If I moved the goose neck down to deck level would this help with the lack of lower stays?

Any advice greatly received

Thanks

Tink

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lower stays
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 am 

Basically you need lowers if you have a problem with the mast bending too much from the kicker loads. So whether its an issue or not depends on the mast section and the kicker geometry. Moving the gooseneck down ought to reduce the bend induced by the kicker loads, but will also make the rest of the geometry less advantageous, so you may not gain as much as you might think by doing it. Some of the old Proctors are very substantial indeed so you may not have a problem. If you're not sure get someone to take some snaps of you sailing, preferably from the side on the beat or head on on a run, and we'll give you an opinion.

Post subject: Re: Lower stays
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 pm 

Hi Tink
As Jim says , lowers help support the mast, when we all had alum masts the majority were hog stepped with a strut which did the same sort of job as lowers would. The few that were deck stepped did not have lowers ( well in my memory...) so I suspect that you will be ok without them, unless the mast really looks very bent. Stiffening the mast too much will make it a pig to sail and tack when the winds up...