The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Downhaul (for the spinnaker)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 pm 

Hi all,

I just have a question or two about the spinnaker downhaul...

When I hoist the spinnaker, I find that the downhaul is too tight, even when I let off the (I forget the technical name) bungee on the pump system, it is still tight. I have tried replacing the bungee from 5mm to 3mm, and have found a bit of difference, but it hasn't done a lot, I also added a foot or so to the downhaul (of rope) and found this too, helped a bit, but all in all didn't do a lot. What I have had to do, is walk to the back of the boat, and pull the downhaul through the block at the back to loosen it, and then the kite (only sometimes though) flies properly. So, my question is this:

Is there anything I can do to effect the downhaul, so it doesn't 'stick' so much? And, could it be possibly to do with the bungee length, is there recommended length for 3mm bungee, being used for the pump system? As, I have a feeling it might be something to do with this....

Many thanks, and best wishes,

Max

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Downhaul (for the spinnaker)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm 

Hi Max, withour seeing the boat rigged I can only guess at what might be going wrong. Firstly check all your blocks to see if they are all in top notch condition as these will cause a lot of friction if worn. lAlso the condition of your halyard needs to be a very good condition. Your kite halyarde needs to be 21 meters long to start & fine tune its length. Your elastic, idealy good quality 3mm should be long enough to allow the block its tied to, when fully let off to allow the block the halyard runs through to go to just aft of the daggerboard case with no tension in the elastic.When you pull the elastic on to pump up or down the kite you need only just enough elastic tension to allow the handle to return to the floor then with no tension. More than that & you'll find pumping harder. If the halyards too short, firstly you'll notice it pulling the foot of the kite in the middle when the elasytic is fully let off not allowing the kite to fly free on stbd tack. You need just enough halyard so it just kisses the foot of the kite when set & the halyard is fully freed off. If the halyard is too long you'll find the pump handles dont return properly to the floor & you'll need to pull on more elastic to take up the slack. Set your boat up on land on a light wind day stern into the wind. hoist the kite on stbd tack & check its length with the kite set fairly free to see if its just kissing the kite foot when the elastic is fully let of & halyard is fully out. If its slack between the foot & kite chut then lower the kite just enough to re tie the halhard on the downhall patch a bit shorter & repeat this until the halyard is the right lenght. As I mentioned you need to satart with a 21m halyard & fine adjust it to suit. I usually have about a 300mm lose tail at the patch when its corectly set with a 22.3 sq m Hyde kite but this will depend on the make of your kite & exactly where the downhall patch is. Not easy to explain but hope this helps. Otherwise you'll need to turn up to an Open meeting where other AC sailers can help you out. Your more than welcome to pop south to my workshop if your in the area & I can show you how to set it all up. Cheers, Rob.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 am 

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advice; I will sort out the length of the halyard as soon as I can (but judging by the snow, it doesn't look like it will be happening this weekend). Then (as you advised) I will fine tune it. I will also replace some of the blocks, if need be....I will also sort out the bungee.

Thanks Rob, that is a real help, and gives me a good starting point to sort out the problem with the downhaul...

Best wishes and many thanks,

Max

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:35 am 

Hi Max,

As well as all that Rob has said, make sure that you don't have any twists in the halyard/hauldown or the bungee.

Have fun.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:28 pm 

Hi Peter,

Another good idea for the things to test when I next get a chance to get to the boat...

Thank you,

Max

Profile E-mail