The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tensioning toestraps
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:31 pm 

Are there any tips for getting taught toestraps?

I had my toestraps bar tight Friday morning, just how I wanted them, but almost instantly after launching they were slack. Do they stretch when wet?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tensioning toestraps
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 am 

Hi Charlie, first you'll need to by toe strap that does not stretch, many do & are useless! Finding it is a case of trial & error. If your local chandlery will allow you'll need to put one end in a vice & pull it (about 4 meters) as hard as you can to see if it stretches at all. If it does then it's no good for the seat. If & when you find a suitable strap, get about 1 meter longer than you need in total. Mark on the ends of the seat with tape where the toe strap/s are to be attached & fasten one end to the seat using the usual toe strap plate & screws tightly. Pull the toe strap (over length) as hard as you can around the other end to the tension you require it. You'll now need to hold the toe strap in place to the underside of the seat with 1/2 meter of good sticky tape like vinyl tape or duck tape if you don't mind using a thinners to remove any tape glue left on the seat but it must be a good sticky tape. Now attach the other toe strap plate to the other end tightly. Check it's the correct tension & trim off the excess toe strap with a Stanley type knife. If your careful you can seal the cut end of the strap with a lighter but be careful of the paint. If you use 2 toe straps then just repeat this process. Cheers, Rob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:40 pm 

Hi Charlie I use car seat belt straps, they never stretch (I have had mine on for two years and they are still tight). The link to where you can buy them is http://www.tinyurl.com/JK4U2RV They are very cheap - about 87p per meter and are available in many colours. ps. I use almost the same method as Rob when fitting. Attach one end first and then the other end I hang a heavy weight on it and then screw in the clamps.

Well sailed at the weekend. Regards John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:34 pm 

Same as above....but a two person job. I also soak the straps for an hour beforehand. A willing helper to place feet on edge of seat and pull like mad with the extra length wrapped around their hands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:12 am 

Suggest a soldering iron for heat sealing toe strap ends with much less risk to paint than a naked flame.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:00 pm 

Superglue works well to seal strap ends also...

Strangely, I am not sure I like the strap too tight. It can feel a it strange when you sit on it. But agree that its not much fun when it is flopping around. The only issue is when you are trying to get your toe under it. I have wondered about just putting a turn in it. Anyone tried that?

eib

Lowly forum moderator
Classic & Vintage Racing Dinghy Association
http://www.cvrda.org