The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Development canoe rules
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:52 am 

The ICF have set up a sub-committee consisting of Alan Powell(ICFSC and DC builder), Colin Brown(UK National Measurer), Steve Clark(US and author of the initial drafts and DC builder) and Phil Stevenson (AUS DC builder) to look closely at the latest draft in the light of the debate generated on the IC Latest Developments forum.
Initial reports and responses have now come in from these members and these are currently being considered. The intention is to have a clear and rigourously tested rule for the world ballot which will take place after the World Championships in Melbourne. It is hoped that the rule will be published in its final form in early December.
This timing seems to be entirely appropriate in that there will be a fleet of these new boats at Melbourne and we need to take on board all the lessons learnt in practice over designing, building, measuring and racing them successfully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 pm 

The guidance on the anticipated timescale and procedure in relation to the DC trial rule is helpful. However, I would have thought it would be better to reflect on the current draft rule at the Worlds in Australia when the experiences of the majority of DC sailors can be taken into account, and the rule amended/refined - if thought necessary - immediately thereafter. The Worlds gives a great opportunity to see how the different design ideas work. At present we do not have enough information on how well the DC sails and its speed compared to a Nethercot, or even data on weights. Suggesting a revised rule in December seems premature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 pm 

The guidance on the anticipated timescale and procedure in relation to the DC trial rule is helpful. However, I would have thought it would be better to reflect on the current draft rule at the Worlds in Australia when the experiences of the majority of DC sailors can be taken into account, and the rule amended/refined - if thought necessary - immediately thereafter. The Worlds gives a great opportunity to see how the different design ideas work. At present we do not have enough information on how well the DC sails and its speed compared to a Nethercot, or even data on weights. Suggesting a revised rule in December seems premature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:33 am 

I think it would be a mistake to delay the process. There has been so much discussion about this for such a long time its about time the class makes a call one way or the other. I have faith in the group put together, and as Alan said the select group of actual DC builders have given their feedback. More feedback is alway welcome, but for a draft rule it is getting pretty mature now. As for seeing how the different design ideas work: The vote is for the rule, not the boats. Some will have gotten it right, some won't. The rule is flexible in allowing different concepts, and as yet we don't know which one is best. We will know more soon, but should that change the rule? Do we ban the UNA rig if its fast? Do we ban it if its slow? Just an example...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 am 

I echo the post from Kris.

The two divisions at Weymouth resulted from my view a lesser series copmared to 93,96 & 99 Worlds which I also competed in, the spectacle of the event that is. (racing was just as hard)

Some years back circa 99 I watched the 49er pre Olympic regatta in Melbourne approx 120+ boats split into 12 boat fleets gold silver bla bla bla, I was located on the second storey of a building on a peir with the "Gold" fleet racing under my nose from what you would think is a perfect venue to watch this level of sailing it was the most boring racing I have ever watched and a good friend of mine was sailing in it.

Later that same day I went down the bay and watched with binoculars that start of a race for the I14 Worlds. The race was a long way out the boats where tiny even through the long eyes approx 145 boat off the one start, one of the most amazing sights in sailing I have seen. Other than watching some of the starts at the IC Worlds in San Fransisco 93. (saldy watching due to my retirement from the series)

Division is not healthy for the IC to survive long term we need to reunite ONE way or the other be it IC, DC or AC not with multiple divisions. We have enough trouble getting the required number of nations for Worlds status in one division let alone 2 or 3.

My vote is to vote sooner, not later

H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:44 pm 

I'm not suggesting any delay to the process. I fully agree we need to come to a decision as soon as possible and the suggested ballot after the Melbourne Worlds is spot on. We need certainty as soon as possible. My point is that it would be better to review the draft rule during the Worlds rather than next month, so the sub-committee can benefit from seeing the boats in action. For example, one of the earlier discussion threads related to the suggested 50 Kg minimum weight. How can this be sensibly reviewed and either confirmed or amended before we have data available on what the initial batch of DCs actually weigh? By 7 January we can have the final rule prepared and the ballot can take place immediately thereafter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:09 pm 

Over the last two years the forum debate has gone around weight, sheer line hollows, mono rigs and lowering sails. Most of it has settled as people built boats on or around 50kg and sailed them.

The current debate between the sub comittee seems to be reduced to how much reserve bouyancy, sheer line hollows and haliards. I think most other points have reached consensus and Steve has modified the draft rule over time to reflect that consensus.

Ironically the App IV (DC) bouyancy and haliard wording is straight from the IC rule, and the debate has raised varied interpretations, so agreement and rewording in IC, AC and DC versions seems warranted.

The point being that the DC rule as drafted and modified over the last 2 years is well refined and has taken into accout peoples experience in building and sailing the boats. It may need refinement later but it would be a shame to delay a decision at McCrae.

Post subject: Development Canoe rules
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:24 pm 

Just to put this into context. The idea of revising the rules is so that we can publish them before McRae and so that by the Skipper's meeting everyone has the same information. McRae won't be the final say because we need to hold the World ballot to change the rules. What we are after is as clear a proposal as possible so that we don't end up arguing all night over the minutae of individual rules - but have a more strategic debate over the future direction of the class. Bear in mind that the original idea was not to produce yet another class but to update the IC. I envisage the new rule encompassing the existing IC and the DC with all boats racing together with a handicap allowance or divided results for the two variants -until such time as the current ICs get recycled!
But time is of the essence now - we need to make some clear and bold decisions to sustain everyone in the class.

Post subject: Final draft Development Canoe Rules
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 pm 

Please find attached the final draft of the DC rules. These will form the basis of the International ballot early in 2008.
APPENDIX IV–
DEVELOPMENT AND MEASUREMENT RULES OF THE INTERNATIONAL TEN
SQUARE METER SAILING CANOE
1 GENERAL
Class and measurement rules measurement forms may be obtained from the I.C.F.

2 MEASUREMENT
All Canoes entered in competition shall be measured to assure conformity with these rules. Unless specifically required otherwise hereunder, all measurements shall be taken parallel to one of the three major axis of the hull - vertical, horizontal or transverse - related to the waterline and fore and aft centre line of the hull
3 SPIRIT OF THE RULES
The International Canoe has a long and vital history; these rules frame parameters for continuing development of the sailing canoe.
The individual values and dimensions within these rules are based on historical precedent and current best practices. These rules endeavor to offer designers and builders significant opportunity for innovation while maintaining continuity with the past.

4 PRINCIPAL DIMENSIONS
Length 4900-5200mm
Beam 750-1100mm
Sail Area 10m2
5 HULL
a) The overall length shall be not be greater than 5200mm or less than 4900mm. This measurement shall include any protective strip and shall exclude rudder and rudder fittings. However if the athwartships width of the rudder or hardware exceeds 50mm within 150mm of the bottom of the hull at the stern, the length shall be measured to the aftermost point of the rudder.
b) The projection on to a horizontal plane of the
line of greatest beam shall be a continuous curve,
and at bow and stern shall lie inside lines which are
at 45º to the center-line and which pass through the
center line not more than 25mm beyond the extremities.
The line of greatest beam may be a combination of convex, concave and straight lines.
No concave curve shall have a radius of less than 100mm.
No convex curve shall have a radius of less than 60 mm except within 50mm of the stem and stern.
There shall be not more than one concavity per side in the line of greatest beam.
c) A 1000mm straight edge set to span such a concavity fore and aft, with 0mm at the outboard tangent, shall nowhere be more than 100mm from the hull skin (measured perpendicular to the straight edge.)
d) The canoe must have a minimum beam of 750mm. Beam shall be measured at a Beam Measurement Station (BMS) located between 1300mm and 2600mm forward of the stern. At BMS, nowhere between the heights of 100mm and 275 mm above the keel shall the outside of the hull skin be less than 750mm in beam.
e) A 2000 mm tape centered on BMS and pulled tight fore and aft against the outside skin of the hull, shall bridge no hollow in excess of 1mm in depth. A 1000 mm tape centered on the keel at BMS and pulled tight transversely against the outside skin of the hull, shall bridge no hollow in excess of 1mm in depth.
f) Nowhere shall the outside skin of the hull exceed 1100mm in beam.
g) The hull surface shall be a continuous structure fore and aft and athwartships. It shall not be breached by any through structure or holes except by no more than one centerboard trunk and one rudder trunk.
h) The hull and all equipment required for
racing, except for sails, battens, clothing, food and
drink, shall be weighed together and dry and shall
have a total mass of not less than 50kg. The mass
of correctors shall not exceed 10kg. Correctors shall
be fastened permanently either to the seat carriage
or the outside of the deck adjacent to the seat carriage and
shall be clearly visible.
The number, weight and placement of correctors shall be noted on the measurement certificate.
Correctors shall be marked by the measurer.
i) The hull shall not be ballasted.
j) There are no restrictions on the material or
method of construction of the hull.

6 DECK
a) Outriggers that extend beyond the sheer line for the purpose of providing a rigging point, or modifying the lead of a sheet, or for providing additional structure to support the sailor other than the sliding seat or the booms defined in rules 8 and 11 are prohibited.
b) There are no restrictions on the design or material
of the deck other than the rules above.

7 BUOYANCY
Reliable buoyancy to give at least 75 kg of
positive buoyancy with hull flooded shall be
provided. The volume of the hull and deck skins as well as any internal framing may contribute to this requirement, but the flooded canoe hull must support its own weight plus 75 kg of additional weight. If the buoyancy is in the form of tanks or
flexible bags there shall be at least two. A sectioned
hull is not acceptable. If the buoyancy is not
removable the builder must certify that such
buoyancy satisfies this rule.

8 SLIDING SEAT
a) The sliding seat shall not extend further than
2040mm from the center line of the hull. This
measurement is taken horizontally.
b) The width of the sliding seat shall not exceed
500mm.
c) The length of the sliding seat shall not exceed 2600mm
d) The mass of the sliding seat shall not be
greater than 12kg, including all moving parts
excluding the seat carriage.
e) The sliding seat carriage shall not extend
beyond the sheer-lines.
f) A visual contrasting band or marker must clearly
indicate the extent of the maximum
allowable travel whilst sailing. The visual
contrasting band or marker and its location shall be
subject to the approval of the National Measurer.
g) There are no restrictions on the design or
material of the sliding seat other than the
rules above.

9 CENTER-BOARD
a) The center-board shall not project more than
1000mm from the underside of the hull when
fully lowered.
b) The center-board shall be attached so that it
cannot normally fall out of its housing and
when free of the hull shall float horizontally
on the water.
c) The center-board shall be capable of being
raised while sailing so as not to project below
the underside of the hull.
d) There are no restrictions on the design or
material of the center-board other than the
rules above.

10 RUDDER
a) The rudder shall not project more than
1000mm from the underside of the hull when
fully lowered.
b) The rudder shall be attached so that it
cannot normally fall out of its housing and
when free of the hull and shall float.
c) The rudder shall be capable of being
raised or removed without the use of tools with the canoe floating upright so as not to project below the underside of the hull.
d) There are no restrictions on the design or
material of the rudder other than the
rules above.
11 MAST, BOOM, RIGGING
a) Any measurement over 75mm
in the fore and aft section of a rotating mast
shall be a measured as sail area. This
measurement of area shall be taken between
the upper measurement band and the actual
or projected line of the foredeck.
b) The width and depth of the boom shall not
exceed 100mm. The width and depth of the
boom of a boomed foresail shall not exceed
30mm. For wishbone booms used for mainsail
and/or foresail each side of a wishbone shall
be measured separately and shall comply with
the same limits.
c) The greatest projected area of spars other
than the mast, boom, jib stick and the boom
of a boomed foresail shall be included in the
sail area.
d) A jib stick may be used to boom out the
foresail. When in use it shall be fixed to the
mast and attached to the clew.
e) No sail shall be hoisted or set more than above 6360mm above the underside of the hull.
f) If the mast is taller than 6360mm, it shall carry a permanent band of contrasting colour approximately 10mm wide such that the lower edge is 6360mm above the
underside of the hull. No sail shall be hoisted or set more than above the underside of this band.
g) The tip to tip distance of any spreaders or spreader system shall not exceed the hull beam at the chainplates.

h) The mainsail shall be capable of being lowered or furled from within or alongside the hull while afloat without the use of tools.
i) There are no restrictions on the design,
material, or position of the mast and spars
other than the rules above.

12 SAILS
a) The total sail area shall not exceed 10 square
meters. Fairings attached to the sail shall be
measured as part of the sail. Fairings attached
to the mast shall be measured as part of the
mast. It is intended that
the actual projected area of the sails shall be
measured using successive triangulation and
the following procedure: The sail shall have a
tension of 10kg wt on wired and roped edges
and 5kg wt on other edges simultaneously.
Measurements are taken to the outside edges
of sails and to the inner edges of ropes or
wires. Zip fasteners and other devices should
be opened, so that the greatest sail area is
measured.
If a stretch luff is used on a mainsail the luff
measurement will be taken as the distance
between the lower edge of the band on the
mast and the upper edge of the boom, with
the boom at its lowest position if not fixed.
Stretch luffs on foresails must be extended
until the folds in the luff disappear. Each sail,
if not itself of suitable material, must be
provided with an area at least 60mm by 60mm
which will accept a permanent mark or stamp
by the measurer. It must be possible for the
helmsman readily to remove the mainsail from
the mast while the canoe is floating free.
b) Mainsail: the battens are to be in place, but
un-tensioned. The main triangle is then
measured. The area of the roach on the leech
is measured by successive triangulation: the
perpendicular of each triangle shall be
positioned at the maximum width of the
segment, except that they shall be positioned
so that the perpendicular of the lower leech
triangle shall not be greater than 150mm. If
the lower part of the leech is straight the
second triangle may be taken to meet the
leech at the upper end of the straight part to
simplify calculation. If the edge of the sail is
curved the area is divided into triangles until
the perpendicular of a segment is less than
150mm; the area of the remaining segment is
taken as 2/3rds chord times width. If the edge
of the sail is straight it shall be divided into
convenient triangles. The areas of the roaches
on the luff and the foot are measured using a
similar method. For sleeve luff sails, the
leading 75mm is considered mast area when
the sail is laid flat for measurement.
The measuring points at the corners of sails
shall be the intersection of the continued
smooth curves of the edges of the sail. To
allow for fullness in the luff and foot of the
mainsail 0.6 square meters is deducted from
the calculated area.
c) Foresail The area is measured by successive
triangulation using a method similar to that
used for the mainsail. Negative areas on the
foot and leech shall be subtracted from the
total area. Positive areas on the foot and leech shall be
included. Positive and negative areas on the
luff shall be ignored.
d) All linear dimensions shall be taken to the
nearest mm. The total area of each sail shall,
after addition of its components be rounded
off to two decimal places (0.01 square meter)
e) Sails must be able to pass through a hoop of
internal diameter 300mm.
f) The mainsail shall carry the letters IC in red,
the national letter or letters and the
registered number allocated by the National
Federation. The national letter or letters and
sail numbers shall be clearly visible, legible
and of a single colour that strongly contrasts
with the sail and in roman style (upright),
without serifs, with arabic numerals and with
lines that are continuous and of uniform
thickness. National letters shall be placed in
front of or above the sail numbers. When the
national letters end in "I" and are placed in
front of the numbers, they shall be separated
from them by a horizontal line approximately
50mm long.
The letters IC, national letter(s) and sail
numbers shall be above an imaginary line
projecting at right angles to the luff from a
point one-third of the distance, measured
from the tack, to the head of the sail; shall be
clearly visible; and shall be placed at different
heights on the two sides of the sail, those on
the starboard side being uppermost. Numbers
and letters shall be of the following minimum
dimensions:
Height: 300mm.
Thickness: 40mm.
Width: 200mm. (excluding number one or letter L)
Space between adjoining letters and numbers: 60mm.
g) There are no restrictions on the design,
material or position of sails, battens, ropes or
wires, other than the rules above.

13 CREW AND EQUIPMENT
a) The crew shall be one person only.
b) An anchor need not be carried.
c) Personal buoyancy must be worn or carried
ready for immediate use.
d) Electronic equipment which monitors and records the performance of the canoe is permitted. Electronic equipment which is used for communication must not be used during racing and must be secured in the off position from the preparatory signal until the finish of the race.

14 ADMINISTRATION
a) Measurement authority Each National
Federation in the I.C.F. has the authority to
measure canoes. Each National Federation
may appoint National Measurers, and shall
keep records of canoes measured under its
authority. It is the responsibility of National
Federations that canoes registered with them
conform to the class rules when entered for
international regattas. In cases of difficult or
disputed measurement, the measurer shall use
a method that he considers appropriate, and
shall send details of this method and
measurements to the National Federation. The
measurer shall report to the National
Federation anything which he considers
departs from the spirit of these rules. The ICF
Sailing Committee has authority to make
regulations for the further interpretation of
these rules.
b) Measurement After measurement, the
measurer will send detailed measurements to
his National Federation where they are kept
for record. The National Federation issues a
Certificate of Measurement to the owner. The
certificate must specify the position and
amount of corrector weight(s) and the type of
buoyancy provided. The National Federation
may refuse to issue a Certificate, even if the
specific requirements of the rules are met, if a
canoe departs from the spirit of these rules. If
a registered canoe is extensively repaired,
modified, or re-constructed it must be remeasured.
Changes of ownership should be
notified to the National Federation.
c) Expenses Measurement fees shall be at the
discretion of each National Authority. Costs of
measurement at International Regattas will be
paid by the organising National Federation.
d) Basis of measurement All measurements will
be taken in metric units. It is the responsibility of
measurers that measurements are taken as
accurately as possible.

15 INTERPRETATION
In the case of dispute the English text shall prevail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:37 am 

Phil Stevo has picked up on it and I guess others have also there are still a few different versions of Appendix IV floating around. In particular the link on the home page of intcanoe.org is to an old draft.

Can I suggest a couple of things, the link on the home page be updated, also can we add a revision to the drafts i.e. Appendix IV Draft REV A, B C etc that way we can be sure we are all refering to the same and or latest revision of the draft. This can save someone mistakling designing and building a boat to the wrong revision.

Cheers
Hayden

Post subject: VARIOUS DRAFTS DC RULES
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:50 am 

Hayden - the final draft has been sent to each of the National Federations and it may turn up as part of your ballot package. The text of it is being posted by Neil here on the Forum - but there are no substantive problems with any of the versions already in circulation. Anyone building is unlikely to fall foul of the revisions we have made - although the buoyancy requirement would need to be checked.
Hopefully we clarifying the situation asap. and tidying up all the stuff that gets into circulation so quickly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:51 pm 

Alan - the link to the Apendix 4 draft on the intcanoe.org home page is to an old older version of the draft its easily picked up if you know what to look for e.g. a difference is the 100mm and 300mm measurements at the BMS is now 100mm and 275mm, also the allowance of one concavity per side. From what I have found the link on the home pages is the only one that could lead people desining/building at the moment astray.

H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:41 pm 

The version on the Intcanoe.org site is now up to date - http://www.intcanoe.org/library/APPENDI ... 202008.pdf