Boats in build

Use this forum to discuss the latest changes in the class
Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:11 pm

In addition to Andy, Phil and Steve, more Appendix 4 boats are in actual construction.
Geoff Harman, Alistair Warren, and Chris Maas are all under construction with canoes of their own design.
Dave Clark is rebuilding "Alice" a 1962 Manana II to the new rules. The bow has been pinched in and the BMS is about 300mm aft of where it would have been under the old rule. Reconstruction started before the 50 kg weight was contemplated, so parts of the construction are more robust than they might otherwise have been, The primed hull weighs something like 40 KG, but thats not bad for something 3 times older than the kid that is driving it! Alice joins "Lust Puppet","War Admiral","Sock Puppet" and a dozen Ted Causey boats in the Back to the Future League of boats that were built before they were legal.
Early in the new year, Oliver and I are going to start on the next wave of Wonks. These will be slightly different than the first Wonk. I have added a bit of volume above the waterline forward and have gotten rid of the funky foredeclk. SOthey will look more conventional with a plumb stem and a crowned foredeck. The chine treatment is more subtle and I have made the bottom a standard arc instead of an arched-vee. This has added some displacement without changing the rocker or waterplane. The deck edge is also a bit different to give a bit more wiggle room aft and allow the seat carriage to move all back without hanging into space.
We are going to have Henry carve a big block of foam into a mold and finish the inside with some glass and putty. The hulls will be molded port side/ starboard side with a joint down the middle. The aft deck will be a third piece molded on a flat table and cut/ tabbed into place after the trunks and bulkheads go in. We will probably build the first one out of 200gsm carbon and 6mm foam (because I have a bunch of it) but may move to honeycomb if we get too excited.
We hope to build 3 or so by June.
In any event Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

Phil Stevenson

Post by Phil Stevenson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Steve,
Glad to hear your DC news, and also that you have developed your ideas further on from Wonk.
I have been busy Mothing for some months but will be back in my Canoe in February, (after Moth nationals and guest appearance at 12ft Interdominion.) New seat is almost finished, carriage to go. Much gybing practice needed before Canoe nationals at Easter.
Phil S
Design perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing else to add but when there is nothing else which can be taken away.
http://philscanoes.blogspot.com/

Roland Whitehead

Post by Roland Whitehead » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 pm

I have a mast (with Andy on the IOW) and frames (still in the box that I brought them back from the wife's workshop in)... and now a 5 week old baby girl. Build currently suspended until a) its warm enough for epoxy to actually cure b) the rush to purchase the wife's "ribbon rocking chair" dies down (go on, Google it and understand that I have some quality control issues to get past) so that I can squeeze back into the workshop and c) baby is old enough not to need round the clock attention. I'm hoping to be afloat by the UK summer but you never now...

Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:05 am

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they never fail to imitate them." (James Baldwin) The next generation of IC sailors?

Hooray!

Paul8)
"Exuberance is better than good taste" -Flaubert

Geoff Harman

Post by Geoff Harman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Latest photos of AUS22
There is a slight delay in completionas I have to relocate a laundry and build a new kitchen where the old laundry was.
hull is on target weight of 26kg.
Geoff Harman
Geoff Harman

kwittnebel

Post by kwittnebel » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:49 am

Hooray Geoff! Nice looking hull! Have you posted lines somewhere?

Karl
USA 193
Lust Puppet
Karl W
USA

Phil Stevenson

Post by Phil Stevenson » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:08 am

Design perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing else to add but when there is nothing else which can be taken away.

Geoff Harman

Post by Geoff Harman » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:05 pm

Thanks Karl
I can email the lines as dwg or dxf
Geoff Harman

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Out in the woods, and out of the mold
The two halves weigh 14 kg. Still need some sft deck, trunks and bulkheads, but a pretty big step on the way.
SHC

Phil Stevenson

Post by Phil Stevenson » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Well done Steve, More DCs.
Do you join the halves in the mold or after? The Mold photos looked like you did not have any acess to the inside once the two mold halves were mated together?
And is the hull primed already or do you use a gelcoat and vynel resins?
Phil S

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:02 pm

Phil,
The halves are released from the mold and then stuck together.
There is an inward flange, deck edge but there is access to the interior centerline throughout the length of the canoe. We will be able to tab the inside of the keel and foredeck. I have aranged to have a small recess so we can tape accross the outside as well.
The finish is a water diluted epoxy paint that we have been using as an in mold coating for a few years, sticks well to the laminating resin and not very toxic. It's easy to patch, top coat after you finish fixing all the screwups.
SHC

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:29 pm

26.5kg as shown.
Structurally complete with jib tracks and hard spots for cleats.
SHC

Oliver Moore

Post by Oliver Moore » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:05 am

So I took Phil S’s new canoe out for a sail on Saturday, and I had a great time. Thanks again Phil. Absolutly beautiful day out on Botany bay. 12-15 out of the North east building to 18 with flat water, great day of sailing. The boat is really interesting. Sort of a cross between a Moth and an IC. The biggest overriding thing I got from the sail was that she is really slippery. She moves through the water fabulously, I never felt like she was at all sticky. Not really enough chop to get a sense of wave encounters but it really doesn’t take much at all to get her really moving.

There are a couple of things that he still has to work out. I was very pleasantly surprised by the big unstayed main. I was a little skeptical at first but I was very impressed. I never felt like the rig was falling off to leeward and there is definitely plenty of power in the rig, especially of the reaches. The problem at this point is depowering it. With the outhaul as it currently is I wasn’t able to get it flat enough especially down low.

I think one of the biggest differences between Phil’s rig and the current IC standard is with the IC rig a lot of the leach tension comes form the main sheet which allows you to play the roach a lot in puffs. With Phil’s rig it is more like a moth where all the leach tension comes from a pretty aggressive vang and I think as a result I ended up playing with more mainsheet than I normally would to depower in puffs.

The other big difference with Phil’s boat was that I don’t think that it would point with an IC. And I think Phil said he has had some trouble going up wind with old rules boats where as I have been lined up with Steve and he’s taken Wonk higher and faster then me. It doesn’t happen all the time but it has the potential. I think part of the issue with Phils boat is he doesn’t have a big enough board in it, which is his next planned mod. But it might also be something to do with the moth like rig, because it looks to me after sailing on a course with foiling moths that they are going plenty fast but aren’t going that high. But at the same time I think the big main has a lot more power in it off the wind.

Well, those are just my first impressions. Current thinking is I may be sailing her for the Aus. IC Nationals over easter, so should be a lot of fun. I’ll also have a much better sense of the boat. Thanks again Phil.

Oliver Moore

Andy P

Post by Andy P » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:34 pm

I expect to start building a DC for Phil Robin next week!
Phil has commissioned a Phil Morrison design.
This design is perhaps the most moderate interpretation of the appendix 4 rules.
The hull is chined, with fairly high chines in the front half, and very U-sectioned throughout.
An approx rendering

I'm looking for more orders for this design, then I can make a female mould which will make things quicker and cheaper.

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:29 pm

I have now got a strctually finished DC, about 27kg, will be moulding the seat soon. Any surgestions of how much carbon I need to stop it snapping in two?
Alistair