Lowering Sails - Rule Change Proposal

Use this forum to discuss the latest changes in the class
Roland Whitehead

Post by Roland Whitehead » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:19 pm

Have the rules changed to specifically address this issue since 1992? At that time, there was a whole bunch of Swedes with sleeve-luff sails who all had zips for below the hounds and simply had to pull the sail off the top of their carbon tube masts. If not, we have precedence that this solution works. There were people who didn't like the concept then but it was allowed.

I think that this is all one storm in a tea-cup having sailed Toppers, Lazers, I14s, 18ft Skiffs and C Class cats where the mainsail couldn't be lowered on a halyard. Come to think of it, there was a 1989 generation 12m where we had to hoist the bowman up the mast to attach or detatch the main as halyard locks were not deemed reliable enough.

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:27 pm

Actually the I 14s require that all sails be capable of being lowered or furled without the use of tools or without undoing any shrouds or stays. The result is a nice little fitting at the mast head which works like a spi pole end and either zipper luff jibs or roller furlers.
Once again, the purpose of this rule is safety and practicality. Here in darkest Dumb****istan, we have to rely on volunteer race committes and safety boat drivers who have not had the years of small boat experience and expertise that is so evident in other parts of the world. All it takes is for one of these people to complain and we are beached for the day and then dis-invited to subsequent events. So, use your best judgement, once you are too exhausted to deal by yourself, will you be able to secure your canoe for towing ashore or being anchored at sea until later. If clubs do not feel they can responsibly provide safety support for our fleet, we will not have any venues.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves

Phil Stevenson

Post by Phil Stevenson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:59 am

For what it is worth I have had a problem with the new Zip up the front of the luff pocket. The maker installed a nice plastic zip, about the size you get in heavy garnments and carry bags, but it was not up to the job and burst before I even got the rig in the boat. He now has the sail back and will be installing a jumbo heavy weight plastic one which hopefully will do the job. Unfortunaley late on Friday afternoon was an inconvenient time to discover the fault and I consequently missed sailing the boat at one of my favourite regattas. At least the weather was bad.
Design perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing else to add but when there is nothing else which can be taken away.
http://philscanoes.blogspot.com/

Phil Stevenson

Post by Phil Stevenson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:15 am

The Zip is fixed and I had a productive sail with the sailmaker following last Friday. Some minor alterations now and the rig should be 100%.
Design perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing else to add but when there is nothing else which can be taken away.
http://philscanoes.blogspot.com/

Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:15 pm

Since the rule states that the IC sailor must have the ability to lower sails, is it ok to carry extra sails, as long as you're only flying the legal area of sails at any given time? Is it ok to change sails on the water between races?

Paul8)
"Exuberance is better than good taste" -Flaubert

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Short answer is yes,
Longer answer is that the class has usually had a provision in the NOR that limits a sailor to entering two suits of sails in order to make measurement something that takes less than a week.
SHC
Beatings will continue until morale improves