Class Promotion

Use this forum to discuss the latest changes in the class
Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:01 pm

Working on the assumption that if i make something half arsed, I'll get feedback on how to make it better. Or someone will make some better class promo stuff. So here we go:

http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting. ... F11890%2F0

PS if I've used you're pic and you're not happy, let me know and I'll remove it. Better still, send me one you are happy with.

John N

Post by John N » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Drop this "Weapon of choice" strap line for the worlds for starters. Crass and insensitive and in a world hell bent on ****ing itself up not a message I am happy with.
John Nixon
UK

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi John,
You are the first person to state anything negative about the slogan, and this includes our sponsor.

Personally I think that a sailing logo that asks people to select the next phase of IC development, by choosing their 'weapon' is not in any way advocating world violence. Especially in the context it is in and with the pictures of IC's in the background.

But in the interests of trying to appease everyone what do you suggest? What would you like to have on your shirt when you come to Australia in 2007/08? And is there anyone else who has a problem with this slogan and logo?

Roland Whitehead

Post by Roland Whitehead » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:17 am

Christian,

I think that you will find that with various people blowing each other up with the odd Brit in the middle, we are more than a little sensitive to the idea of having a "weapon" in the UK. Perhaps you could simply change this to "Machine of choice"? Slightly less agressive, still forward looking...

Roland Whitehead

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Roland Whitehead</i>
we are more than a little sensitive to the idea of having a "weapon" <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
At least its not as tactless as Julian B naming what is now the B14 the Exocet just a few years after the Falklands war... Amusingly the Bethwaites have been seen in print claiming that the boat was named before the war happened, but the calendar is against them by several years!

sfrosh

Post by sfrosh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 pm

What is the connection between "Weapon of choice" as it pertains to version of Sailing Canoe, and crazy terrorist blowing him self up in public. It has been happening in Israel for decades and they havn't banned any words from their every day common use??

GBR242

Post by GBR242 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:45 pm

Well, if all the 'crazy terrorists' were to drop their current 'weapons' and choose an IC instead....

the world would be a whole bunch safer....

and we would have one hell of an interesting worlds!
Ed Bremner
GBR314 - Silver Surfer
GBR242 - For sale
Lowly forum moderator
Classic & Vintage Racing Dinghy Association
http://www.cvrda.org

dave.timson

Post by dave.timson » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:49 pm

I think we are getting a bit carried away here, I personally like the logo. I think it is in the right direction the class needs to go, afterall I feel the future of the class is certainly in AC or DC mode. I cant see it having any relevance to arms, weapons or terrorism. The logo is a picture of two canoes?
That little black thing sticking out the front of your boat might resemble a machine gun but is nothing more than a harmless piece of carbon pole, well harmless in some peoples hands!

If a majority disagree with the wording then why not just simply "Make <u>your</u> choICe!"

From what I have experienced alot of effort and thought is being put into the Worlds and if the Logo is such a problem then perhaps any adverse publicity will be a benefit to the class, a bit of controvercy? Better than no publicity at all!
Juiced-up GBR303

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:07 pm

People, it's just a logo, something different for a piece of branding to help identify the 2008 IC World Championships from other Regatta's.
The 'Weapon of Choice', comes from a Fatboy Slim song where the 'weapon' he chooses is his voice. In this case we have IC's, but the platforms available are AC's and DC's aswell. The reason for using the old Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy music was to hint at 'Don't Panic'.

One good thing is that if this is all people are concerned about, then the rest of the worlds organisation must be okay. Now, if you have better logo's or ideas please send them along, We'll run a competition or something to choose a winner. But bear in mind, that no matter what you come up with someone will complain about it. How about we all just concentrate on getting ready to come down under in 2008.

Now back to class promotion, has anybody got any video footage, or high quality IC action (I mean action in a completely non-violent way) pics. So we can put together a set of promo slide shows/video emails. The sort of things that can be loaded onto forums as well as played at boat shows and promotion days?

Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:30 am

Christian-

If you'd like some different music- in a more world/classical vein, go to the members section, click on Paul Scott, click on the picture box, and you'll find my website which backs my CD Essays. Try clicking on Castleswreath, or the Bach Cello Suite, (wait for half of your life) and there you will hear some short samples of some of my stuff, which I might add has been played on Australian National Radio. If you like it, I can send you a cd, and we might be able to work out some sort of licensing agreement.

It's not like I'm tooting my own horn, more like drawing my own bow.

Paul
"Exuberance is better than good taste" -Flaubert

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:01 am

Thanks Paul, I'll check it out tonight, a tune i had in mind was the classical piano part to a song a couple of years ago called 'clubbed to death'. But these are details that can be added to all the high quality pics that people are hopefully sending (or pointing me too).

ttonk

Post by ttonk » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:14 am

Awesome!!!

Anything that can promote this much discussion just has to be good!
We would love to hear the critiques of what was right and wrong with the logo. Hell we could discuss this over a few beers at McCrea after sailing.
Christian has spent a long time asking/begging/pleading and even demanding feedback he has now found an avenue!

See you there Kevin IC9

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:51 am

Is this one more appealing?

By the way, was there this much conversation when our class slogan was about sister kissing? :)

For those people who like the 'Weapon of Choice Logo' feel free to use it:
http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting. ... /16142.jpg

Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 am

Chris-

I am assuming 'clubbed to death' is at least post punk, death metal, or thrash. As much as I like the metaphor of thrash, given the age of this class, and it's reputation as a classic...?? I know! Lieder! I always used to hear Shubert Lieder on my CRIT 650 (in my head), esp when on the cusp of frostbite. All this said though, given the contrapuntal nature of the IC, and the fact it's fashion forward, how about the prelude of the 2nd Bach Suite for cello done on my electric cello post mod by (my) D.O.D. Attacker! (It's a grunge distortion box. quaint, but still holds up.) Good power chords at the end!!!!

Paul
"Exuberance is better than good taste" -Flaubert

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Paul Scott</i>
how about the prelude of the 2nd Bach Suite for cello done on my electric cello post mod by (my) D.O.D. Attacker!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So are you going to post an MP3? Think I'd like to hear that...