The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wings and Trapeze
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm 

I can see a few benefits to racks, but I think I see more draw backs.

I can understand how an AC sailor might be attracted to the racks option. Downwind racks would allow the skipper to get farther aft and pop the bow out of the water. This would probably add something to the ACs downwind performance if you could keep the boat flat

However the canoe is exceptionally narrow and unstable. One of the nice things about the sliding seat is upwind when you heal over to leeward the boat doesn't stop dead and when you heal to windward the seat usually has enough buoyancy to allow you to get back to the boat without tipping over. If you replace the seat with racks, a few degrees of leeward heal drags the racks and stops the boat, and when you hit a lull a few degrees of windward heal is a tea bag and probably a capsize. I saw this happen to Phil on AUS1 multiple times in McCrae at the pre-worlds regatta.

Another nice thing about the seat is, at least with our design, the seat is a little way up in the air allowing the skipper a little more margin for error than racks would. This is particularly convenient downwind in heavy air venues because it gives you a little more time to react after being hit by a puff or a lull. With wings you would often times end up dragging one of them when a puff or lull hit.

I also don't really see the racks working with the pointy stern. I do not have the design acumen of many of the people who peruse this site, but I just don't see the two working well together. It seems to me that because of the pointy stern you couldn't get the racks as far back as you would like and thus the primary benefit of having racks is compromised. I think racks are for skiffs, and the canoe is not a skiff.

On the whole I feel that if you replace the seat with wings the boat quickly ends up looking like a gigantic classic moth and to me that isn't the direction the class should move in. Having sailed other narrow boats with massive wings before I feel that I can say from first hand experience the plank is by far the better option. We mucked around with similar ideas when my father put together the frankenboat "Locust" and honestly it was a nightmare to sail. A boat that narrow with wings that big almost always has one of the wings in the water and as a result the boat never really gets going. It's like sailing a moth that never gets up on its foil, not a whole lot of fun. I'm sure other people more talented than me would have an easier time, but that's how I felt.

People have wondered before if the seat is good for the canoe class and I can at least see why they would wonder. At first the seat looks to be much more difficult just because it looks so different. However, in my opinion once you have sailed the boat a few time you realize that it is actually much easier than the alternative. Many tend to think the seat makes the boat harder to sail primarily because it looks so weird. But I believe it actually makes it easier. I can't really imagine sailing a canoe any other way.

Thats where I'm at at least.

Best,

Willy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wings and Trapeze
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 am 

I agree with all that Willy says regarding seats v racks & traps. Another down side to a trapezes on a Canoe is the mast is fairly short, upright & forewards in the boat compared to the likes of RS600,RS700's & Musto Skiffs, Int 14's 18'Skiffs etc. This makes hanging a trap wire from the hounds OK to winward but as you get back on the racks the angle you are to the mast increases conciderably & limiting just how far back you can go especially with most of the load being on the leading leg & angling your body aft against the pull of the trap wire. Tall, raked rigs allow the crew to get right back on the racks without too much foreward pull. Putting toe loops on the end of racks can have its downsides especially on something as tippy as a Canoe & with no buoyancy in the racks, toe loops can be deadly. Also the shape of the long thin Canoe with its pointed transom wont have the desired affect of lifting the bow so it can reduce its wetted surface & plane on its transom, the low tapered buoyancy volume in the aft of the canoe will only sink its tail if you go much further aft than we currently do & act more like a sea anchor than a lift area.
Also, as Willy stated, the buoyancy in the seat has a real safety factor built in to it allowing time to recover from tea bagging & bashing into waves, racks would give a lot of windage, the leeward rack will dig in if heeled too much in error & the friction will be a lot greater moving in & out on fine netting than on a seat.
The seat has allowed the Canoe to develope to its cuirrent forms allowing a narrow hull to have a built in safety factour of the seats bouancy that acts as an outrigger.