Wonk report ?

Use this forum to discuss the latest changes in the class
Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:37 pm

Rocker, butts and chines on double light ended boats is a constantly amusing topic. On ICs where the helms ability to shift his weight fore and aft is somewhat compromised by the sliding seat, how the hull trims as it transitions through various speeds is really interesting.
On Wonk, I pushed max depth of rocker quite far aft, under tha assumption that surfaces with a positive angle of attack would generate lift. If we don't want to drag our ass in he slow going, this results in a bit of spring ( as Phil calles it) in the keel profile. This isn't necessarily transfered to the quarter beam butts. On Wonk as there is 2 or 3 degrees of twist in the bottom panels resulting in less deadrise aft of max depth.
Beatings will continue until morale improves

Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:04 pm

Phil-

I made a cardboard model from your (very clear) description, and I finally understand what it is I've been scratching my head at all these years. Thanks.

Steve-

Constantly amusing topic, yes. Thought you'd like to know that when I showed Bob Perry the lines of some of the canoes on the web 7 years ago (when we were developing Amati, and I was hell bent for a skinny (6:1) 40' 7000lb. double ender), he kind of burst out with: given how skinny (and radical in reputation) the canoes are, he was impressed by how normal the lines were. This brought a smile to his face. I'll have to show him some of the DC lines if that's ok with you guys-

Paul
"Exuberance is better than good taste" -Flaubert