The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rudder Problems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:04 pm 

Can any of you clever folk out there please give me some adviceā€¦this is the problem. I am using a rudder blade from my last canoe GBR 319 and I had no problems with it at all. I have repainted it and have fitted to my new Maas design. Now work this one out, as soon as the canoe starts to plane the rudder develops a hum and I can feel a vibration through the tiller extension. Any ideas on why or how I can cure this? I also get, for the first time on any canoe get a small amount of water coming up the front of the rudder cassette.
Answers please before I set off for Wales next week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rudder Problems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 pm 

A bit of light sanding with wet and drying can make a difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:20 pm 

Colin, I go with Chris. You've repainted and maybe profile slightly changed...though unlikely with your keen eye!
Also, did you not make a sacrificial tip to the bottom of your cassette to prevent leading edge damage and is this still comparable with new cassette housing profile. Also , how well is cassette fitting in hull? Any gap resulting possibly in vibration. Sure this is all elementary thinking but worth airing and all if applicable easy to sort.
Steve AC 310

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 pm 

The Maas stern in theory will be doing more pressure recovery so pressure distribution round Base of foil,will be different. Don't see why that would affect vibration though.

Haven't moved to a gybing cb I suppose? If rudder were right in wake I'd expect something albeit low frequency not hum. Had very odd experience other evening following a 29er shy reaching when I could feel the turbulence from trailing vortex presumably off board.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:29 am 

Thanks for your replies. I will get the 1000 and 1500 grades of wet and dry out and give it a rub and and polish. As for the cassette, I will check out the leading edge to as if there is any chance of it projecting below the bottom of the hull skin line. I think the cassette should be in perfect line with the hull skin or a very slight recess at the leading edge, any views?
Not sure of Steve's reference to a sacrificial tip on the rudder cassette. Cannot recall seeing one of these on any canoe.
Looking forward to Wales, are the pubs still closed on a Sunday??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:46 am 

Colin,

Wales is no longer dry on a Sunday. Pubs have been open on Sundays for many years since the 'dry' period.

When in doubt as a teetotaler (me)! After sailing I am always suprised nobody asks me if I have a comb they can borrow. I thought it was common knowledge that bald me always keep a comb in their pocket, a nostalgia thing!

Colin Newman