The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New IC's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm 

We just had our Noth American Championship on San Fransisco Bay. Nine boats showed up, seven of which were built to the new rule. There are three new boats being built in NA that I know of and Bill Beaver has one on the drawing board. Some of the other East Coast guys are threatening to start building soon.

What new boat activity is there in the UK, Aus and Germany? Will we get a decent fleet at the Worlds?

Post subject: Re: New IC's
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:04 am 

Been a bit quiet in AUS, but that should change in a couple of weeks with Greg (AUS 26 the old Josie) and I getting new rigs set up.
Hayden will be building soon I'd imagine, Pardo (NZ) is still slowly building his but has also been increasing his family (welcome Madison Rose). I think with the logistics/cost of getting to Germany next year will probably see more focus on rigs than on hulls for us Aussies, and then maybe a build program post worlds... but I could be wrong 8)

Australian IC Website: http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting.org.au

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:26 pm 

I hope Hayden has organized a heated garage for the new home. I don't think the better half would be impressed with where he built the last boat :lol:

http://jethrowsicpage.blogspot.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:44 pm 

On the IC front, things have been somewhat quiet in the UK this year, partly due to economic conditions. Colin Brown has been re-fitting out Alan Powells new boat which he is borrowing whilst Alan is in Africa, but it has taken longer than anticipated, so the boat has not hit the water yet. However, people are planning for the worlds in Travemunde next year. I understand John Ellis is mid way through building a boat to his own design and Colin also intends building one, but has yet to decide on which design. I'm happy with the Morisson design so I'm concentrating on refining the rig on Scarlett.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 pm 

Hi
I will be in Monkey again for Travemunde, Improvements from Oz have been a new rudder and I have a new daggerboard to try and another new one that I have only got as far as a mould (I did some skins on Sunday but foolishly left them in the car after trimming them at work and they are now so warped I can not get they back in the mould!!) I have been planning to make a mould for a seat and carrage but we are now on house renovation No.3 since OZ so I can not see it happening. I also have plans on the cad for a new boat, they have been waiting now for 8 months or so but finding time at the moment seems a little hard. I have however resloved my sailing club problem (I did not have anywhere to practice) and the latest house renovation is in Aldeburgh that has a Yacht club, prob not the most ideal place for a canoe (a tidal river) but has a history of canoe sailing (had canoe nats there back in the 1950's). Have yet to sail monkey there but should be able to do the Wednesday night series in her leading up to the worlds next year.
Alistair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 am 

I have just started a Morrison IC for Colin Brown, and will shortly be starting a Dragonfly new design ( Monkey2) for Alistair Warren.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:49 pm 

I have done a modification of Kaito,( the 3rd josie.) The section curvature and chine radius in the front 2 meters has been increased and the little tuck aft of the rudder trunk has been straightened. The result looks far more normal. I anticipate the boat will be a bit smoother in a chop and trim less bow up when planing hard.
Willy and Dave will give Kaito a bit of a run over the Thanksgiving holidays if weather permits. I am on the hard after shoulder surgery, so can't do anything except watch the kids. The things I want to affect are pretty subtle and will be hard to gauge from the launch.
Assuming all goes well, Dave and I will build new boats with this pattern for Travemunde.
SHC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:32 pm 

From the sublime to the ridiculous, in order to try and inform my thinking on a new boat my lightened Nethercott is currently getting a Maas style wide stern. Shaping it is proving to be a lot more difficult than I had hoped. My particular Nethercott has a lot of turnup at the chines which I'm finding very hard work to transition. Just glue on the foam and then extend the buttock lines I thought. Shouldn't be too bad to fair I thought. I thought wrong: not the first time. Such is life.

The new fat a**** consists of styrofoam, well, I guess you could call them cheeks(!) glued on the side of the hull with a piece of peel ply in there which I hope whoever converts the boat back to a proper Nethercott at some time in the future will bless me for:-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:46 pm 

Colin picked up his boat yesterday 19 Nov ( I say boat, but more a collection of carbon double-sided foam curvy pieces :D )

Dragonfly gets started on Monday. 22 Nov

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:13 pm 

Dragonfly mould is finished, taped up and waxed.
some pics at :

http://www.mediafire.com/?t538zjvhj2hdd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm 

Morrison 2 Mould progress...

Slight set back in that I damaged my shoulder skiing this week which may cause timing issues.

The mould is almost complete, I have used a high build polyester gelcoat to give it a good covering and have started to rub it down to give a really nice and faired finish which has been checked for geometric accuracy (i.e rubbed by hand over it and felt for bumps). I hope to wax it and then start moulding next weekend for boat numero uno, shoulder willing. Had a few ideas on deck latout and may go for a dished layout as per a skiff internally with a short minimalist foredeck/spoiler to keep spray off and use the mast step design I came up with on Jet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm 

Morrison 2 progress....

Mold all waxed up and first layer of carbon applied. Hope to fit foam this week so might have a viable hull shell by end of Feb.

Pictures at http://www.intcanoe.org.uk/gallery/disp ... m=48&pos=2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:17 pm 

some more building pics of the Dragonfly shell + bulkheads etc here :
http://www.mediafire.com/?t538zjvhj2hdd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:17 pm 

David Clark's new ride
[img]http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads//monthly_03_2011/post-738-044135700%[/img]
USA 250
"Smoke Show"
Folded plywood hull skin, foam and carbon everything else.
Pretty much as pointy as you can get.
SHC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:01 pm 

Very sexy Steve.

Does this design use minimum freeboard at the BMS?

Profile E-mail