The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Time to start thinking about boats again...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:54 pm 

Sailing season starts again soon so it's time to start thinking about the boat agian (Sorry IC lot, I'm sticking with an AC before anyone starts down that line...)

Has anyone tried having the kite up haul/downhaul behind the carriage along with the sheeting position for the kite? My thinking is that I keep tripping over when launching and dropping the kite and also that it might be easier to gybe the kite with the kite sheets behind the mainsheet falls. Would be interested in any comments before I start drilling more holes in my already sieve-like deck!

Also, does anyone know of a cheep source of carbon masts in the UK?

Craig
AC 249

Post subject: Re: Time to start thinking about boats again...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:20 am 

Craig,

I have spent a lot of time thinking about the spinnaker uphaul system with the new boat and have adopted a non pump systems option which may or not be practical but will make an attempt to use it as it simplifies the whole think and reduced the need for handles at all. Also my new carriage and seat is open on the middle to pull the kite up through it which addresses the problems of sheeting from the front of the carriage.

However on standard boats, normally the handles are usually placed well forward I think to allow them to be pulled upwards by elastic to the kicker and boom and stop them getting tangled and also to use your forward hand whilst bracing yourself over the seat. I have often thought that the handles over the front is bad for your back though, hence my new design. You could fit them behind but of course if the carriage is back at the end of a run you could have a problem if you are not in a position to move it.

There is no reason why they shouldn't be behind as long as you don't mess up the length of rope needed for the elastic takeaway systems as this length is critical to avoid too much tension or not enough.

You would need to think of some other method of keeping the handles out of the way but on the RS700 they just lay on the deck with a tube of carbon between the pulley and handle to encourage them to stay upright. I later idea which is now more extensively used is to replace the handles with tubes and have a piece of elastic stretched across the boat from the gunwales running through to keep the handles to hold them up. Less freeboard on the canoe of course may make this less effective. You could look at seem means of attaching them onto the back of the carriage of course with elastic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:17 pm 

Hi Steve,

Emailed you about this intriguing sounding system - not sure if it got through - but this reply only part answers how your idea works.
I tried a simple system with just a cleat for the halyard, but trawled it every time on the drops - hard to be fast enough pulling down while steering with a foot and tap dancing!
Any chance of a diagram of what it is you're doing? Is there a large gap in the seat for you to pull through? Or is your carriage more bridge-like, so that you have room to sort out the gubbins underneath (from the pics on the site it looks like it).
I too have a dodgy back - so anything that eases the strain the better!
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 am 

Sorry Mudman only just seen this.

Basically I have had so many other things to sort out so I haven't developed the idea much yet and I can revert back to the usual pump system if it all goes TU.

The uphaul downhaul is a very simple one with the rope coming down the chute around a pulley at the back as normal, through a block in front of the rudder, forward to another pulley in the usual place (at this point it could also go through some jockey wheels slung under the carriage) just forward of the seat, cleat and then disappers into the pole and up the mast. I think this will probably need more work and friction will need be added at some point to stop the sudden drop problem. However, I have done some workings and found if you put a cascade inside the pole canyon, on my case, you can loose a lot of excess halyard which means that the amount of spare rope stays much the same and therefore a short elastic tensioner may be enough to stop the whole lot collapsing when you least need it. Also on a drop, by pulling in about 2m of rope you can completley collapse the kite meaning that when you do uncleat, the patch is pretty much in the chute on the first pull down. It works well on land but in a F5 in a swell I admit it may be a bit fruity.

This will require more work I'm sure but the benefit will be much faster uphaul/downhaul and avoid the dreaded traul if a pump is too slow or you miss a tug at a critical moment or stand on a rope at the wrong time.

If you're coming to the show I'm sure we can throw around some ideas.

Profile E-mail