The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nethercott measurement aft...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 am 

257 has lost the fat stern, and I now need to fair up and get smooth ready for paint. Now the question is, bearing in mind that there seems little point n doing the exercise at all if I don't hit the one design rules, how critical are the measurement points likely to be? 257 is an earlier style Razorback shell with the upturning chines. Its tempting just to trowel on a load of filler and get it all smooth, or would I be safer to sand off as much as possible until I know that I am in easy sight of the original skin, or, indeed, do I need to be wary in the other direction - might there be a risk of taking off too much and not measuring in the other direction? I'd rather not have to make a set of templates if I can avoid it!

Post subject: Re: Nethercott measurement aft...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:57 am 

Hi Jim, this could have be difficult! But.....I am coming down to London on Saturday 14th to Phil Robin's house. I can bring the box of templates for the O.D.down on the train if it helps. Contact me colinbrown828@sky.com

Regards Colin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:17 pm 

Thanks Colin, unfortunately the boat isn't near Phil, but down on the South Coast. However I've done most of the sanding now and by the time I got down to something reasonably fair I was so close to the original skin that I just took the rest off. The ambient temperature was such that I didn't fancy trowelling on filler and hoping for it to cure. I always had in mind reverting my little experiment, and happily the precautions I took to attempt to minimise the work in making the boat standard again have largely come off.

Need to do some painting now, really not my speciality. Are you busy Rob?

Actually, here's a thought. The old girl is being refurbished to sell, and I don't really fancy repainting my entire collection of sliding seats and carriages, one will do. Does the panel think, for maximum sales appeal, I should refurbish the Razorback special heavy wooden seat/carriage, which should bring her to something like one design weight, or the much less standard looking but lighter carbon Bloodaxe one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:39 pm 

Jim, you can pick the box of templates up from Phil ( assuming he's ok with that) at Barnes or maybe Hayling, returning the templates at the nationals/ worlds. I think it desirable to have the canoe conforming to the o.d. rules when selling it on.
Any help required please contact me. I think if you do sell on it would be good to get the new owner to the worlds in late August!

Regards Colin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 am 

Hi Jim, just read your post, I have a set of hull templates at my workshop if you need to borrow them. The original hull was in tolerance with usual thickness of paint on so if you've now removed all the filler you added down to the shell then just a basic fare & spray should keep her in tolerances OK.
I've got several small jobs currently on but sure I could fit your boat in if it's within the next few weeks as I'm having a partial knee replacement next month so would really need it ASAP. Give me a call regarding requirements & options OK, cheers, Rob. (01243 430253 evenings)