The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: International Website - Testing requested
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm 

Folks,
I've updated the International website code a bit in a way that will hopefully make it a bit more readable towards smartphones and other small form factor devices, and also better looking (IMHO) on very large screens and older versions of IE too.
Trouble is I only have so many different devices around me: currently I don't have an office full of people who can be persuaded to load a page and take a look.
I'd be grateful if folks could take a look at http://www.intcanoe.org and sub pages on various devices you have and let me know if it seems readable or if its problematic, and if so in what way, and I'll see what I can do about it.

thanks, Jim C

Post subject: Re: International Website - Testing requested
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:55 pm 

Hi Jim

Just had a quick look with a Samsung tab 2 tablet running android firefox and it looks good.

Geoff

http://jethrowsicpage.blogspot.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 am 

Still playing with this... I've added some Code that increases the text size on narrow screens to attempt to make the site more phone friendly. The draw back of this is that the bigger text is also used if the reader uses a narrow window. It would be good to receive feedback on how it's working in practice.
Also comments on what content we should have on the International site, which is mainly a link farm right now. Without trampling on the various National sites I wonder if there should be a canoe handling section. Would need articles and video though and its tough to get people to write stuff. I can assemble material, but am in no position to give detailed instructions on best practice.
One option might be to start forum posts, but would you guys get typing?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:50 pm 

I've got the prototype of the 2015 version of the website to a stage where I'd like testing by other folks.
You can get to the english version by using http://www.intcanoe.org/en/, or try the automated language detection at http://www.intcanoe.org/index2015.php

What's changed:

Fundamentally the same visual style, but tidied up a bit in details
Latest Forum posts appear on front page as well as latest changed web pages
Image gallery each side of the main content should work better on larger screens with multiple columns appearing
Significantly changed navigation.
- At larger screen sizes there's a menu to the left of the main content.
- At smaller sizes a button appears on the screen which pops up the menu over the content. Button and pop up position change with different screensizes to try and make them handy for touch screens
Limited Multiple Language Support.
- Supported languages are currently English, French, German, Netherlands and Swedish, which I think covers the majority of active Canoe sailors.
- In an ideal world I suppose one would also have Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish being the other official UN languages.
- If the page is unavailable in the desired language (and right now just about all of them are) then the site reverts to english
- Larger screen sizes have a floating box with National flags for language selection (Aus, US and UK flags all deliver the same english content)
- Smaller screen sizes have a much smaller box which loads a language selection page to reduce screen territory used
- When the new site goes live the front page will attempt to divert to the best language as requested by the browser
- All translations are currently by Google and dreadful. Hope to have better ones soon for at least some languages. All contributions welcome.

So I'm most interested in:
- How do you think the new navigation works, especially on touch devices? Are the buttons in reasonable places (they move with different size screens)
- How does the general look and feel work for you? How is text size on different devices? Is it readable?
- Does the language detection work? Is the auto reversion to english OK, or would it be better to have a page in between that tells you xxx is unavailable?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:42 am 

Well done Jim. I had a look on both a laptop and an iMac. It was all very readable and easy to navigate. Thanks for your efforts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:27 pm 

cracking job jim. tried it on a small crappy android phone, ipad and pc. works very well ,even on the phone.

Profile E-mail