The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Resignation of ICF Sailing Commission Chairman
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:46 am 

It is with great regret that I have to tell you that I have resigned as Chairman of the ICF Commission. The reason for this decision is simply that I can no longer maintain reliable and effective internet communication from here, in our new home in Zambia. When I learnt of our new posting I felt optimistic that I would be able to still hold Skype conference meetings and consultations with the commission members from around the globe. However, East Africa is clearly a minor side-road off the Superhighway.
It is imperative that the class is not held back as there are some important decisions and plans to be made. I believe that the new rules IC will be very successful and that new standards in design, construction and sailing techniques will continue to be set. I hope that the UK’s fleet of ACs will be able to compete effectively again in IC mode at international level by the adoption of policies which unite the class and accommodate the various sailors’ preferences.
Indeed, if we are to retain our international status and standing in the ICF, we need to encourage more sailors, in more countries, to join us. That will only happen if we have the confidence and strength of a fully committed and united membership world-wide.
In the time I have spent in post, I have tried to establish a more structured approach to the work of the commission. Each member now has a specific brief so they can gather information and report back at meetings. We have a development plan to maintain the focus of the commission and each national federation has been asked to feed into this and produce national plans to cover the medium to long term. Draft agendas are circulated earlier and minutes of meetings are published on the Forum. By all of these means I hoped to generate a much better informed and clearer vision of the way forward.
It is important to attend to the peripheral details not just the obvious one like championships and fixtures. We need to regain our lost standing in the ICF by upgrading our presence on their website and ensuring that all the information they have is current and relevant. They are willing to help us promote the discipline through funding and supporting schemes such as mentoring and demonstration events. We need to be approaching 20 active national fleets to regain Board membership status. My most optimistic current national count is 11! The whole class needs to push this membership initiative forward as a top priority, at club, national and international level.
I do hope that a suitable Chairperson will be found quickly and that he, or she, will help us all to ensure the secure future of this unique class. To have the new generation of sailors now running the class is an exciting prospect and I know that there is a wealth of experience and history available for them to call on should they need it. My apologies to all of you, for hanging on for so long in the vain hope of finding a reliable connection. I still hope that I might be able to get back to take part in the World Championships in 2011 but I cannot promise at this time.
I hope you all enjoy great sailing over the coming seasons,
Alan Powell.

Profile E-mail