The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: International Web Site and Facebook
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:59 am 

Just been playing about with extracting Facebook posts to the International website. It needs working up properly, but the first prototype is here http://www.intcanoe.org/en/facebookindex.php . My idea is to make it look like the rest of the Int website, so I've just taken the data and made it consistent with the forum extract and random pages. Tricky working out exactly what fields to put where, we'll see how it goes. Any ideas/suggestions please let me know or comment here - or for that matter on f/book...

Post subject: Re: International Web Site and Facebook
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 am 

The thing that worries me about this is that the interface seems a bit slow, and so the page is taking longer to load than I'd like. Feedback would be good. Facebook updates are currently under the ransom page selection, but on the final version they'll be above - the random pages are just there for variety when nothing else is happening.

The general idea, BTW, is that the front page of the International website acts like a gateway and we get as many as possible places where Canoe talk is happening. It makes for plenty of new posts on the site, which keeps it looking active, and because its all automated it makes for little maintenance. It also means that effectively any of you can put an update on the Int web page just by making a Forum or FB post.

Jim C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:21 am 

Good idea Jim. I like it. Doesn't seem to load slow for me. Thanks for doing this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am 

OK, its there now. The order is recent Web pages, recent forum posts, recent facebook posts, random pages, and you only get random pages if there are less than 10 of the others. I suppose I could put them all in date order, which would put the newest things at the top, but also mean that they were all jumbled up together which could be very confusing.