I C ONE DESIGN FOR SALE.

Feel free to post For Sale and Wanted adverts in this forum
robert stebbing

I C ONE DESIGN FOR SALE.

Post by robert stebbing » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 pm

ex Australia 17,all carbon Nethercott hull etc.built by our very own Hayden Virtue and his dad in 1996 (I think).It came over here for the 2005 Worlds (pics in the gallery),and just got dumped in England.I don't suppose he could be bothered to fork out to take it back. Has a carbon daggerboard and a phenomenally bendy upper mast,which looks like spaghetti in any wind.At least the leech falls off. Is with the original rudder,all ss,and will take any number of unplanned groundings. Rig tensioning is good with a multi purchase "magic box". Its not in bad order and needs to be taken from me. I guess I have sailed the boat 30 times in 4 years. With top cover,trolley and all you need to start your IC adventure. plse txt me first 07967 011041. R.Tamar.

neil

Re: I C ONE DESIGN FOR SALE.

Post by neil » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Errrr. Didn't get dumped. Got part exchanged for a Pyranha with Christian Knott at the end of the Worlds. I sold it after buggering my back to Stu Budden.
K26 - update on progress at pegasus18.com/zenith

GBR242

Post by GBR242 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 pm

I think the Pyranha had its foredeck and side-bits stripped in Oz and went on being used there.

Stud Budden renamed Virtue's boat 'The Baked Bean'.....but had to sell due to a few health probs...

If memory serves....this boat takes the record for 'build-time' as I think the whole build was done in some incredible short time like 14 days or something.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
GBR314 - Silver Surfer
GBR242 - For sale
Lowly forum moderator
Classic & Vintage Racing Dinghy Association
http://www.cvrda.org

bert

Post by bert » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:18 am

is this canoe for sale?

robert stebbing

Post by robert stebbing » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:19 pm

The relevant shots are in 2005 Worlds Boat Details.Although the outfit is obviously now older it has in fact had little use.The big square-topped Alexander main was a bit revolusionary at the time.Hayden fitted an adjustable compression strut fwd of the mast, (not possible with a jib track), and this is effective in keeping the lower mast straight,allowing that powerful main to stay full, up to design wind.After that, the strut is released to allow it to slide up the mast, allowing the mast to bend fwd and take up on any unnecessary fullness in the lower mainsail. By this time(over 12 kts of wind),the upper mast is doing its own thing and shedding anything that comes its way from the completely flat upper mainsail,facilitated by that floppy section. If you ever wondered about GUST RESPONSE,all I can suggest is;" Come and have a look at this rig!"
The only small problem is that it does not always work like this when you start with a full sail. The boat comes with a 2nd flatter sail to be used when the wind is up. I have also used other less powerful sails successfully with Aus 17, especially with a Rowsell Kevlar main (AC294).
It is all about experiment, and this has been great fun with this boat.

robert stebbing

Post by robert stebbing » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:06 pm

This wonderful boat has now gone out to pasture somewhere East of Cambridge.