The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2017 Worlds in Australia???
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 pm 

Just throwing it out to see if people are interested in the 2017 Worlds in Australia?

Have a think about it, if there is the interest I'll canvas some clubs to see what options are available and table this as an option at the skippers meeting in September...

If you are interested please comment here or email internationalcanoe@hotmail.com leave your thoughts and wishes for an Australian Worlds..

If there is another country already pencilled in for 2017 then how about 2020 down under...

Cheers
Hayden
ICAA President

Post subject: Re: 2017 Worlds in Australia???
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 pm 

So Hayden ,
Be careful what you ask for!
One hand in the air can be a disincentive for others to raise theirs!
I for one think it would be great, I might even be able to do one more and make it an even 10.
Can you guarantee the wind will not exceed 7m/s?
:P
Del

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:04 pm 

When will a decision be made regarding 2017 World's location and dates? If in Australia, would the dates be summer for the Southern hemisphere or summer for the Northern hemisphere? Thanks. Starting to plan ahead....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm 

At the Skippers meeting held earlier this month during the XIX Worlds at Richmond YC, it was agreed that Sweden would give further consideration whether it has the resources to host the next Worlds, and if this is not the case, the other 2 options are Australia and the UK. The aim of the ICF Sailing Committee is to make the final decision by Spring 2015.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 pm 

Just to clarify its spring in the Northern Hemisphere :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:45 am 

Further to this as mentioned at the skipper's meeting, Australia is keen and ready to host the next Worlds.

IC sailing in Australia is at a critical point with the next Worlds in Australia the growing momentum will continue, even since the 2014 Worlds I have other IC sailors from down under asking me a host of questions about canoes. With a home Worlds this enthusiasm will continue to grow. Without the Worlds in Australia the Australian IC scene will suffer potentially beyond repair. A Worlds down-under I believe 15 boats from Australia is very possible.

There is already strong support from Australia, the East and West coast USA, Poland and Canada as well as good support from the UK and Germany, I'm optimistically thinking a boat from NZ will be on the water also.

For obvious reasons I would like the Worlds in Australia, however I do believe also its the fair thing to do. The last worlds in USA and the previous in Europe having the next down under somewhat equalizes the travel overseas. That said I fully understand the situation for Sweden and they get my vote after Australia.