Richmond YC XIX World Championships 2014 USA

A forum to discuss issues related to the Worlds
chrishampe

Re: Richmond YC XIX World Championships 2014 USA

Post by chrishampe » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Are there any measures who will be able to measure a mainsail ahead of the worlds.
assuming I can get the sail there

H Virtue

Post by H Virtue » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 am

Hopefully there is a little white boat with black stripes sitting in the dinghy park of RYC at the moment... fingers crossed that little white boat with black stripes is in one piece after its excursion from down under...

Last word was the truckers were on their way and the unloading crew were on station ready to fly into action.

The first of the Australian team arrives in a few days with your truly arriving mid next week. I'm looking forward to the regatta its taken some effort to make it with transport hassles along the way which at times made wish I didn't bother. Anyway my boat should be at the club by now, I'll be there soon its a great place to sail and great club to sail from. It going to be a fantastic regatta I have a goal to better than the 93 Worlds beyond that, well anything is possible and time will tell.

There are a few new faces in the fleet and some old ones returning, I'm looking forward in part to catching up with some of those I first met in 93 which was my first IC Worlds and also the other friends I have met along the way and forging some new friendships. Its business on the water but that's where it stops....

Good sailing to all at the regatta (but not too good :wink: ) see you soon.

H.

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:50 am

Boats have been on the water at Richmond Yacht Club with more boats arriving each day.

here are my highlights so far

Monkey day 1:
http://youtu.be/OvB1SiWkP0M?list=UUcYYG ... QGyXrOS5Jg

Monkey day 2:
http://youtu.be/HdCDOnN2LY4?list=UUcYYG ... QGyXrOS5Jg

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting the vids Chris.....we are well jealous here! Hope all goes well
Gaz

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:02 am

Well there was a practice race today... and whilst the fleet launched into a very light breeze many were still struggling to come to turns with what the pecking order would be. The days plan was to hold a practice start (which many competitors clearly needed) and then the practice race itself. By the time the race had started the San Francisco winds were just filling with 12 knots that would eventually build to around 18.

Some contenders fell by the wayside early whilst some others decided to call it quits after just one round. Chris Maas held a large substantial lead after the first round before turning for home. In the end it was Robin Wood from Alistair Warren with local Mikey Radziejowski 3rd, ahead of Steve Clark (USA) and Peter Ullman from Germany.

The highlight of the evenings opening ceremony was the arrival of the Canadian competitor Bob Lewis: http://youtu.be/6KXc0OfwTTA

Tomorrows race starts at 12:30 PCT

SteveC

Post by SteveC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:19 am

I'm posting a few comments each day from the British prospective on the front page of the website and will add photos when i can upload them into the gallery.
Steve Clarke (UK)
GBR338 "Money4Nuffin

GBR242

Post by GBR242 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:33 am

If it is of any help, send them to me, or put them in cloud where I can get them....

...then I will see if I remember how to put them into gallery.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
GBR314 - Silver Surfer
GBR242 - For sale
Lowly forum moderator
Classic & Vintage Racing Dinghy Association
http://www.cvrda.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm going to try and put a digest of news and links I get on the 2014 worlds page at http://www.intcanoe.org/2014worlds.php

Photos would be very welcome. Here's a flickr set... https://www.flickr.com/photos/68878379@ ... 933746000/

regards, Jim C

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Steve/ Jim
Many thanks for taking time to update those of us stuck here in these gentle breezes in Britain!
Steve...hope you get some good racing in tomorrow before the breeze builds. Good luck to the 'team'.
Gaz

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:50 pm

Mid Week Press release
http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=000 ... 951059db69

Steve Clarke (GBR) Uk report
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/1 ... s-days-1-3

Both with photos and from different sources...

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:21 am

A taste of San Francisco Bay:

Taken from the final reaches of todays race

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:03 am

Good stuff, thanks for all the videos Chris. Have just found some new news sources which are linked from the worlds page on the international website.

With an extra discard kicking in tomorrow the permutations for who wins between Chris and Mikey look very complicated. If I read the Sis correctly even a tie for first is possible. Reckon, short of DNDs, those two will fight for gold and Silver. but there are about half a dozen who can take bronze.

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 am

The fleet began to launch at around 11:30, By the time the first boats arrived at the course area the wind was already up to 18 knots. The race officer re positioned the committee boat further north to try and avoid the worst of the wind. The wind however did what it has done every day so far and continued to build by 12:25 the wind was up to 21 knots and the conditions were deteriorating despite the hot California sunshine. The race committee put up the AP over A to send the fleet back to the harbor. With it looking unlikely that any further racing would take place Mikey Radziejowski began his celebrations.

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 am

New York Challenge cup

Defender USA

Del Olsen (Captain) USA 253
Chris Maas USA 254
Mikey Radziejowski USA248

Challenger GBR

Alistair Warren (Captain) GBR 317
Phill Robin GBR 328
Robin Wood GBR 329

Race 1) wind 200 degrees, 8 - 11 knots.

Both Robin and Mikey were OCS neither went back. Mikey led the boats to the left hand side to round the first windward mark ahead of Alistair. Robin Wood and Phill Robin were next although Robin had to stop to clear weed from his rudder. This allowed Del through into 3rd place. At the back Chris Maas looked somewhat off the pace. Downwind Alistair caught Mikey and the two boats got locked togeather in combat exchanging places with each gust. Del was able to close up as the leaders battled and passed Mikey to round the leeward mark in 2nd. On the 2nd beat Alistair headed left covering Mikey whilst Del continued to the right. At the windward mark it was Del that was leading from Alistair. The final beat saw these two close together and with the wind starting to build the boats who had both gone right were now side by side on the starboard tack layline to the finish. Alistair took the gun just ahead of Del.

GBR 1 - USA 0

Race 2) Wind 205 degrees 14 - 17 knots

At the start line most of the boats were early so were slowing down by luffing and digging their seats into windward. Unfortunately Alistair misjudged this and capsised to windward directly into Mikey. Chris Maas led Phill & Robin to the left hand side. Del started about 45 seconds late and headed right with Alistair some way behind. From here on in it was the Chris & Mikey show as the USA pair pulled away with Chris taking the win leaving Robin to finish third.

GBR 1 - USA 1

Between race 2 and 3 Robin Wood had a series of capsises and at one point his dagger-board fell through the bottom of his boat. The saftey boat helped him right the boat and replace the dagger-board. But the San Francisco wind took hold of the boat and blew the boat over onto the towing post f the rib leaving a large hole punched through the middle of Robin's Mainsail. Robin limped home leaving team GBR fielding only two boats for the final race

Race 3) Wind 205 degrees 17-18 knots

Despite only having two boats the GBR team won the start with both boats leading to the left. The lead did not last long as Mikey drag raced his boat lower and faster until he was able to pull ahead. Chris would follow him to the windward mark But the race was the Mikey show as he extended on each leg to win by a large margin.

USA 2 - GBR 1

USA retain the cup

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 am

Thanks all for info. Good stuff Chris.

A last plea from me, I'd be grateful if everyone who puts together event reports, especially for National newletters, could let me have a copy when complete so I can get a long term report for the Web site archive. It can be very instructive to have the different National viewpoints.

And it being the International site I welcome reports in German or Swedish or whatever, there's no reason for it to be all english language.

TIA, Jim C