The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Richmond YC XIX World Championships 2014 USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 am 

I've opened this thread as a means of starting discussions for the 2014 World Championships. The date has now been agreed. See http://www.intcanoe.org.uk/ for press release.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Richmond YC XIX World Championships 2014 USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 am 

Hello,

it still is some time to go, but I am wondering if there are any news on the SF Worlds 2014

- can we keep the container on-site?
- is there a crane for unloading a 20' container?
- in which area(s) in the bay will we sail?
- accomodation, any recommendations?

Really looking forward to the worlds in SF!

All the best,
Arne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 am 

Hello Arne,
sorry I couldn't get up to Scotland for EC.
The worlds are being organised as per last time in Richmond by Del Olsen when he happened to be commodore of the club. If things are similar to '93 then containers can be stored in the club grounds and there is a crane for lifting them off trucks. The clubhouse is quite big where Breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea are available, as well as evening meals. Richmond YC is quite a long way from any shops, restaurants, etc., although it close to a relatively new development of housing, condos (appartments). Last time Del did a fantastic job and found volonteers from local residents to offer accomodation to visiting athletes. Richmond YC is next to a yacht marina, and many competitors stayed on cruising yachts offered by friendly owners.
If you're not hiring a car, public transport from San Fransisco is by BART- Bay Area Regional Transport, which is train. There is a stop at Richmond, which about 4km from YC.
Contact Del for better info.

All the best
Simon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 pm 

Arne,
My thanks to Simon for the last posting, he sums it up pretty well.
We are currently working on an event web site that will will link thru Richmond YC
We plan repeat everything that was successful in '93. We plan to offer accommodations on boats in the harbor and to the extent possible, in local members homes. We will have food service at RYC which will be more convenient and easier and in addition less expensive than dining out.
It is no problem to store containers on site for the event. However shipping companies have been charging a large fee for "detainage" so it is best to check with shipping company. I know it was cost effective to let them take it back and bring a new one when it came time to leave Australia in '08.
The sailing area is to the South of RYC in the area known as South Hampton Shoal and the Berkeley Olympic Circle. On a map or Google Earth the boundaries are the Potrero Reach Chanel on the North ,Angel Island to the West, Treasure Island far to the South and the East shore of SF Bay.
The dates are Sept. 7-15 2014 which were chosen for the favorable tides at that time of month and the generally more agreeable winds that arrive in Sept. ( and no, that is NOT a guarantee!)
All the usual details of race schedule and costs will be available soon and posted in the NOR

It would be great to have an idea of how many hope or expect to attend. In addition to the 6 or so locals and the 7 or so from the East Coast were expecting a Canadian or two but the majority sailors to come from Europe
Until the site is up and running I will be the Organizing contact for the event so feel free to contact me any time.
Good Sailing
Del Olsen
USA 253

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:26 am 

Hi Del

Will you be running a North American's or something before hand. I've had a quick chat with Chris Mass about the worlds as it looks like I might be in the area around that time but so far it looks like I'll be in Nevada the same time as the worlds. Maybe I can drop by before hand?

http://jethrowsicpage.blogspot.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 am 

MCR wrote:
Hi Del

Will you be running a North American's or something before hand. I've had a quick chat with Chris Mass about the worlds as it looks like I might be in the area around that time but so far it looks like I'll be in Nevada the same time as the worlds. Maybe I can drop by before hand?

Any guess as to when you might be in the area? Any chance you can adjust your work schedule, I assume its for work, few reasons to go to Nevada when the Outback is so much closer
The NAs are held the year before the World Championship so that one is done for this cycle. However I just located the Pacific Coast Championship trophy, has been missing for a dozen years ,so we could possibly put that together, I'll run it by the committee.
The schedule of races is just being worked on. The big question is whether to have a lay day and multiple race days or single race days without a day off. Early polls indicate single race days but nothing firm yet.
Cheers
Del

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:42 am 

I'd rather there were multiple races per day. The one race a day format is long dead for most classes now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 am 

Thank you for that advance information, Del.

I'd prefer multiple races per day as well.

We are planning to fill a 20' Container with six boats. Propably all new rules boats.

Arne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 am 

Hi Del
Two races a day in my view is good over a long championship, 3 if it was a short (4 day or less) event. The real pain is the wait between races, I find the canoe and more so with the new rules boats just don't like hanging around and you get more knackered between races than during them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 pm 

Unfortunately (in an IC sense) I'll be in Nevada for a Human Powered Bike competition, and as it's this project that will be funding my visit, I guess I'd better go. I haven't seen their dates for 2014 yet but going by the last few years it's the same week as the worlds. Finger crossed it will change...

Del Olsen wrote:

Any guess as to when you might be in the area? Any chance you can adjust your work schedule, I assume its for work, few reasons to go to Nevada when the Outback is so much closer

http://jethrowsicpage.blogspot.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:14 pm 

I spent a lot of time with Chris Maas at the moth WC, on shore and near the back of the fleet. He suggested that an AUS IC contingent is needed in Richmond and that Hayden and Christian are not available. I agreed to fill in if he can find a boat for me to sail. I'll be rusty, my IC is on the other side of Aust now and no one is sailing any near home, but I am prepared to have a go, on the way home from the next Moth WC in UK and some holidays in Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 pm 

Phil,
That's really good news!
At this point I know we'll have a new rules IC for you to sail. Which one is still TBD.
So now we have the 3 continents, and 4 countries AUS GBR GER USA. Looking for 2 more, CAN and SWE ? :)
Cheers
Del

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 am 

As part of my long term project to get a decent amount of class history documented on the International website I've been transcribing/OCRing and uploading Worlds and Europa reports. I've got as far as 1993, which was of course the last Richmond Worlds.
Bloody 'ell, I thought, what a well written report, I wish mine were that good. And then I thought that it was a report that really made you want to sail there. So I thought I'd add a link to this thread for your delectation. Here you are: http://www.intcanoe.org/1993worlds.php. It concludes (with homage to Douglas Adams!) "Every competitor was wearing a huge silly grin by the end and words cannot express the gratitude to Richmond YC. ‘Boffo - a good one’ will have to suffice." That was last time, do you want to miss this one?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 am 

Hi Del, The new rules scene here in the UK is certainly now off and running. I am expecting a good turn from the UK at the worlds, a full container perhaps??
Now as far as the racing is concerned, I no longer favour several races per day. Perhaps the old day with 2 but certainly no more than that. I am looking at the age of the fleet, the phyiscal damage to bodies and canoes and the necessary repair time for both! Its good at the worlds to have some shore time with others sailors to discuss the latest IC 's now 2-3 races per day will not allow for this and any gear failures could well result in 3 DNS. My view would be to keep as many people on the water as possible each day especially if its windy, allow for some down time and remember most of us are nearly pensioners!!!! 3 races in the bay in 20 knots will not as much fun as it once was.
Looking forwad to the trip and will try to sail at least once more before the canoe is shipped!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 am 

Colin,
Glad to hear the GBR contingent will be so strong. Have you figured how many can fit in a 40? 14?,16?
I hear what you're saying about being near retirement, from the work-a-day world anyway.
As yet the schedule isn't set, I was looking for input to help the process, naturally we want as many canoes on the water and to finish the races.
So far the consensus is that it's ok to have multiple race days just not a steady diet of them. And that given the nature of our craft and the generally gentrified nature of the contestants , 3 per day isn't a good thing. Time for racing, repair, recoup and some socializing make for a good event,
Couldn't agree more, we aim to get a great mix next September.
Any other thoughts or concerns, just post them here!
Cheers,
Del

Profile E-mail