The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Air Conditioned Hotels in Travermunder ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 pm 

Does anyone have any local knowledge that might help me find a hotel in Travemunder with air conditioning? The big central 'Maratine Hotel' does not have air conditioning and all my efforts to find a hotel with air conditioning have so far drawn a blank. Because of the drugs she has to live on (to control Temporal Arteritis which developed three months after the Worlds in Australia), my wife, Barbara, cannot cope with hot weather, her doctor warns her to avoid the sun and once the temperature gets over about 23C she starts going all red, swollen and feeling very uncomfortable. When I raced at the venue in 2006 it was often over 30C and, apparently, it was nearly as hot some days last year. Finding air conditioned accommodation is pretty well essential, as a precaution, if she is to come with me. I wonder if anyone knows of an air conditioned hotel? My e-mails for advice from the hotels have had no reply, presumably because they cannot help. I guess Northern Germany is rarely over 30C for long in the summer so may be no hotels in the area have cooling?

Different people experience different side effects from steroids (needed to keep her alive!) but in Barbara's case she gets a lot of muscle and joint pain, tires very easily and has little strength. As a consequence I now do virtually all the housework and cooking. I can leave Barbara on her own for a few days but to attend the Worlds on my own would mean leaving her for 12 days (ferry out to ferry back). I am not happy about the prospect of doing that so, unless we can find suitable air conditioned accommodation, I probably will not be able to attend the Worlds. It would be nice to meet up with the world family of IC sailors again but, at 68, I guess I would not be in the prizes!

Colin

Post subject: Re: Air Conditioned Hotels in Travermunder ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm 

Hello Colin,

I'm afraid, I have no personal experiences with hotels in Travemünde, but found these two hotels with air conditioning:
http://www.hotel-strandschloesschen.de/hotel-ostsee-travemuende.php
http://www.columbia-hotels.com/de/columbia_hotels_travemuende_ostsee

You can also check the hotels in Timmendorf which is not far away and even Lübeck might be an option (20 min drive).

Good luck,
Arne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 pm 

Using this website http://www.letsbookhotel.com/en/germany/travemunde/hotels-accommodation.aspx?fac=109 Only the Columbia hotel is listed as having airconditioning in all rooms.. More details here:-
http://www.columbia-hotels.com/en/columbia_travemuende_rooms_suites

The only other hotels with air conditioning appear to be in Lubeck

Hope this helps,

Chris H

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm 

Thanks very much guys. I have sent e-mails to the hotels to check availability and prices. It looks as if they are very expensive, like 290 Euros a night in the case of the Columbia, which could make the whole trip a bit too costly in a year when we are also helping to pay for my son's wedding! I am struggling with the Strandschlosschen web site as it is only in German. I will see what they make of my English e-mail!

Thanks again very much for using a search engine I did not find.

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:04 am 

Hey Colin,

do you got a message back from the hotel? if not, i am german so i can give them a call for you and ask whats about a room with air condition.

whrite me message if you need help with this.

cheers Fynn

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:28 pm 

Thanks Fynn,

Yes, the hotel did cope with my English but had to admit that it was a mistake in their literature and they do not have air conditioning. That leaves just the one posh, expensive hotel at 290 Euros a night which would make the whole trip overly costly. I have more or less decided that probably it is not going to be feasible for me to come. I would really be only making up the numbers at 68 years old, so I guess age is taking its toll of both my wife and me. Before Barbara was ill so I came on my own, I enjoyed the 2006 European Championships at the same venue, especially as I won it (!), but with the new light weight ICs to race against the rules of the game have changed. I found that in the ordinary cafés and eating places round the town not much English is spoken which is an added problem as my wife has some food allergies so it is vital she can check she is not eating something that will make her very ill. It would be easier if it was just a Canoe event centred around a single club as in Melbourne, but at this event there will be about 2000 other boats from 30 other classes so once off the water the IC sailors will get very scattered all over the town, and just when you need them to tell us what's on the menu an English speaking German will be nowhere to be seen! We have had some bad experiences eating out in some other countries where there were communication difficulties. On the way home from Australia, Barbara was very ill in Singapore as in spite of using local interpreters, some how some shell fish got into her food when we ate out. All in all, it seems unlikely I will make it, but thanks for your interest and willingness to help.

Colin