The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: International Canoe World Championship 2011 Travemünde / GER
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 am 

I didn't want to interupt the thread from Christian's really important query above, but just to say I have also entered. I have a feeling I am the only UK IC Nethercott so far, but I am sure there will be others from Sweden & Germany to compete against.

Had some problems with registration as had no email confirmation, e.g. re camping place booked, but the money has gone out of the bank, and am following up by email

Hugh

Mustang Sally, IC 275

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 am 

Christian AUS wrote:
Okay, I have a question about the International Challenge Cup.

Unfortunately no Australians will be travelling to Germany to compete - what does this mean to the International Challenge Cup?
Do I have it couriered to Germany for it to be challenged for undefended?
Or do we (Australia) hang onto it until we are challenged over here or until the next worlds?

What does this mean for the World Championship?

From memory, the ICF require competitors from Three continents and Five countries for it to be a valid world championship.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the above or have mis-counted current expected entries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 am 

chrishampe wrote:
small ships register?
I didn't need anything for the euros last year.

I think that answers my question,
Thanks Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm 

As I see there are some problems with online-entry, here is a "how-to-enter":

You only need to fill out these four pages. Third page is for camping, leave free if you stay anywhere else. There are just options for IC/AC and IC OD. I will work on that. Make sure that your entry which will be sent to me is correct.

See you soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 pm 

Mark Goodchild wrote:
Christian AUS wrote:
Okay, I have a question about the International Challenge Cup.

Unfortunately no Australians will be travelling to Germany to compete - what does this mean to the International Challenge Cup?
Do I have it couriered to Germany for it to be challenged for undefended?
Or do we (Australia) hang onto it until we are challenged over here or until the next worlds?

What does this mean for the World Championship?

From memory, the ICF require competitors from Three continents and Five countries for it to be a valid world championship.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the above or have mis-counted current expected entries.

We need three continents and six federations in each event competing for a valid world championship.

expected continents:

Europe
North America
Australia (Stuart Brown)

expected federations:
Australia
Canada (Wiliam Penetier, if canadian federation will confirm his entry)
Germany
Great Britain
Sweden
USA

I don't know what about the Challenge Cup, as we need three Australians to defend the cup.
I think it can not be challenged this time...

Best regards,
Arne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:04 pm 

So will the first and second place countries race for the challenge cup or will it stay in Australia for another three years?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 pm 

chrishampe wrote:
So will the first and second place countries race for the challenge cup or will it stay in Australia for another three years?

That's what I'm trying to find out. We would love to be there defending the trophy, but a combination of circumstances has lead to a couple of us not being able to make it - which makes it very expensive to ship ICs if we don't have a core group.

Australian IC Website: http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting.org.au

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am 

If you are not there you can't really defend it. I think this applies to a lot of sports so as Chris suggested why not let 1st and 2nd in Germany fight for it and let Australia have an auotomatic challenge at the next Worlds. Steve 310

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:56 pm 

according to the provisional entries there is an australian entry, he could defend this as there is no lower limit on number of boats in a team. that waytop 2 countries could have a sail off to challenge :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 am 

What is the spirit of the Cup? (throwing this out to IC sailors who have been around for a while in the class). Is it about winning and defending the cup, or is it about having a competition for the cup regularly?
No one is more disappointed than me that an Australian Team cannot be there to mount a defence, and I would love to be part of that defence. But if it needs to go to Germany and be competed for through an uncontested defence then I will support that decision.
So, does the Cup:
1. Stay in Australia until a challenge is issued or until and Australian team travels to the next worlds (this will be happening, the planning and fundraising has already begun)
2. Go to Germany, and be defended by the Australian entrant (no offence to anyone, but this is not my preferred option)
3. Go to Germany and be contested by the 2 best teams after race 3 (I think that was how we did it the last couple of times from memory)

Australian IC Website: http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting.org.au

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:25 am 

What was the original wording for the intent of the cup? From the era I would have thought it would be like the AC ? (I think) where the defender chooses the venue? Or am I way off the mark?

I am tentatively aiming for the next worlds if I can manage to improve my sailing to the point of not being embarassing. It would be disappointing to loose the cup by default and not have a chance to defend it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:33 am 

From what I understand the cup is Challenge for from the Holders but thats only my understanding.

I also wish I could be in Germany I built a new boat for it went to San Fran last year to help my World title defence and New York Canoe Cup defence.

I also find if rather interesting some of the nationalities of entrants and those people who have never sailed IC's before especially for their "home" nation..... but anyway if thats what need to be done I guess it will be........

Since I started in IC's and going to Worlds the nation after the first 3 or 4 heats with the best result challenges for the cup from the holders of the cup no sail off to see who challenges for it.

All due respect but Stuart has sailed IC's how many times? We may as well just hand the Trophy to the best nation after the first 3 or 4 heats.... given the quality of the boats and sailors travelling from the US I think that's where the Cup will finish up...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 pm 

I think we all regret, that Hayden Christian and our other Australian based friends miss the Championsship in Germany. But we also should appreciate that Stuart can race for his home country, because it makes the difference of having a World Championship for everybody who participates.

Regarding the New York Cup its only fair to free Stuart from the burden having to defend it. But i think, like it is for many other trophies, that if a defender is not able to defend (for what kind of reason does not matter) it becomes vacant and the challengers should be enabled to race for it.
In my eyes the sailors of the best two countries which are in Travemuende should race for the New York Cup on the 30. of July to keep the history going.

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 pm 

I had a real long shot come up as a means of me getting to the Worlds but that fell well short of the line... as of a few seconds ago not to worry I should check this forum more often

As for the New York Cup no matter we have to go by the word of the deed of gift, this is being researched at the moment so we should all have clarity on what is to happen with the cup.

I agree about freeing Stuart from having the burden of defence we may as well just had the trophy over all due respect to Stuart but to be able to beat the likes of Chris, Steve you need more than a few hours in a IC and thats all that would be gained from competing in a Worlds, I know I would rather win the trophy by beating the holders of it in a fair battle on the water.....

Anyway lets wait and see what is written in the deed of gift as that is what has the final say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 pm 

So far as I know there is no minimum number to make up a team , just a maximumof 3. However a single person against 3 would be very disadvantaged.

Australia could defend it with a team of less than 3, or chose to withdraw and leave it open for the top 2 teams to fight for.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next