The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Europa Cup 2009
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:58 pm 

Is it still the intention of Sweden to host the Europa Cup in 2009?
Are provisional dates and a venue known yet? Also, has it been settled which types of boat will be eligible to compete for the 2009 Europa Cup, all ICs or only the IC One Designs? I read Ben Fuller's comments after the vote to adopt the box rule for the IC, to imply that the decision on which Canoes will be eligible will rest with the nation hosting the competition as, I gather, the Europa Cup is not run formally under the aegis of the ICU. Does this give the Swedish hosts the freedom to rule that the new box rule ICs (DCs of late) are ineligible to compete for the 2009 Europa Cup if they wished so to rule? (Sweden voted against the adoption of the new rule.) As far as I am aware this issue has never been resolved as far as the Europa Cup is concerned? Can anyone clarify the situation? It would be nice to have confirmed the 'rules for engagement' for the next Europa Cup contest as soon as possible. We can then all plan accordingly.

Colin Newman

Post subject: Re: Europa Cup 2009
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 pm 

It would be good to know where and when the regatta is going to take place. If I am going to go I would need to get my leave from work organised in the next couple of months after looking at the transport options.

Chris Hampe

GBR 238

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 pm 

The way this works is that the IC is the IC and the Europa Cup is for the IC; if enough Classic canoes participate then the organizer can set it up for them to race separately just as if enough AC's show up.

This all will be ironed out in the next sailing committee meeting which we are trying to set up for early October.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:35 pm 

Thanks Ben, that is now very clear, more so than early in the year when you were talking about racing for the 'auld silverware' and implying that the host nation might set things up in whatever way might give the best competition. I agree that having moved to the new rules, competition should be in keeping with them even if new prizes are added for the ICODs in an attempt to retain the interest of those still racing the 83.5 Kg boats. Thanks.

I expect things will develop as in the International Moths I sail; at the recent World Championships held at Weymouth this July (same venue as the 2005 Canoe Worlds) of the 99 competitors from 19 nations (40 from the UK) all but two were racing with hydrofoils even though there is a trophy for the first skiff, non-hydrofoil boat. Unfortunately, during the eight days scheduled for racing sailing was possible on only two days because of too much wind and even then it was between 20 and 25 knots on these two days. Only 15 sailors finished every race. Enthusiasm to travel far to race 'off-the-pace' boats is hard to sustain. Let's hope the new rules for the IC reinvigorate the Class in the way that the big change to the Moth has again given the boat world-wide appeal. Five years ago there were only just over 40 Moths at the 2003 Worlds in France from only 6 nations. When develoipment classes develop growth can happen quickly.

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:14 pm 

For the national silverware things do have to be determined by the national sailing committee. The international sailing committee only can work on stuff like Europa and the Worlds. And the Europa by recommendation only as it is not an international competition as defined in the ICF rules.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:50 pm 

Johann Elfstrom told us that the 2009 Europa Cup would be on Lake Vattern. which is a few hours by car from Goteborg. Presumably mid July as per most Europa Cups.
For southerners (UK) there is a scheduled ro-ro/12 pax service from Tilbury to Goteborg (DFDS Tor Lines).
Simon Allen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:20 am 

Ben Fuller wrote:
The way this works is that the IC is the IC and the Europa Cup is for the IC; if enough Classic canoes participate then the organizer can set it up for them to race separately just as if enough AC's show up.

Excellent, I look forward to reading about, and seeing pictures of UK and European IC's being built for the Europa Cup (and the Worlds in 2011).

Australian IC Website: http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting.org.au

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:39 pm 

Can someone please confirm the date and venue for the 2009 Europa Cup? Is it to be Lake Vattern? Late July? early August?

Peter McL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:31 pm 

I understand the Europa Cup will be held at Karlstad SC on Sweden's largest lake Vanern, from 7 to 9 August.
Are any ICs built to the new rules from Germany going to make the trip? I assume Roger's new boat built by Steve Clark has now arrived in Europe - are there any others being built in Germany? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:55 am 

Phil Robin wrote:
I understand the Europa Cup will be held at Karlstad SC on Sweden's largest lake Vanern, from 7 to 9 August.
Are any ICs built to the new rules from Germany going to make the trip? I assume Roger's new boat built by Steve Clark has now arrived in Europe - are there any others being built in Germany? :?:

My boat is still in the US but we're organizing the transport at the moment. Should be here at the start of the season (at the moment there is ice on the lake i used to sail ...). Peter gets a new Design boat from Chris Maas - so we will be at least two boats in Germany.
I would like to bring GER 78 to Sweden if there is some competition from you and the other UKs that follow the new Design Road.

I also plan to sail GER 78 in Travemuende where Peter is probably too. Could be a good opportunity for a test sail ont 2011 Wolds venue....

Roger