The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Europa Cup 2013, Loch Lomond
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 pm 

Date has now been finalised Monday 29th July to Friday 2nd August 2013.

This really is a great venue and very well run event and should not be missed.

Peter McClaren is your main contact and he has produced an advanced information sheet containing outline details including accomodation which will be loaded onto the website. Book accomodation early to avoid dissappointment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Europa Cup 2103, Loch Lomond
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:13 pm 

The year is of course 2013, not 2103 !!!!

Information here for all who haven't received it direct.

Peter

To All European Canoe Sailors:

Please find attached outline information for the Europa Cup 2013, which will be held in conjunction with the UK National Championships at Loch Lomond Sailing Club in Scotland.

It would help the organisers to get an approximate idea of numbers likely to attend, so please e-mail me at petermclaren@talktalk.net with your intentions:

Yes, I’m aiming to come to Europa Cup 2013 with … family/friends

I may be coming to Europa Cup 2013

Sorry, I can’t make it to Europa Cup 2013.

Please get in touch if you have any other queries.

Peter McLaren
(0)1786 465546
petermclaren@talktalk.net

INTERNATIONAL CANOE EUROPA CUP
AND
UK NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 2013

ADVANCE INFORMATION

1. Loch Lomond Sailing Club is delighted to announce that the 2013 International Canoe Europa Cup and UK National Championship will be held at Loch Lomond SC, Stirlingshire, Scotland, from Monday 29th July to Friday 2nd August 2013. A briefing will be held around 1200 on the Monday and the first race will be around 1330.

2. The event is open to boats of the International 10 Square Metre Canoe Class and to the German Taifun Class. There will be a separate concurrent Championships for standard International Canoes (ICs) and for asymmetric spinnaker-fitted ICs (ACs).

3. Boat parking space will be available at the club from Saturday 27th July and visitors arriving early are invited to join in club races on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Access before Saturday 27th is possible by prior arrangement, as is safe boat storage for the following week.

Getting to Loch Lomond Sailing Club

4. The club is situated on the east shore of Loch Lomond, one mile north of Balmaha, on the B837 road to Rowardennan. A map can be seen at http://www.lochlomondsc.org/ under “Club Info”/”How to Find Us”.

5. A suggested approach route from the south is M6, M74, M8 through Glasgow, Erskine Bridge, A82 to Balloch, A811 to Drymen, then B837 (a recently-opened extension to the M74 joins the M8 in west Glasgow). An alternative from the east coast is A696 & A68 or A1 from Newcastle, then A720 (Edinburgh Ring Road), M9 to Stirling, A811 to Drymen and then B837.

Ferries from continental Europe
6. There are a number of ferry routes crossing the southern North Sea and the Channel. The DFDS ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle is probably the most convenient. The ferry from Zeebrugge to Rosyth is not operating at present.

Accommodation

7. Early booking is advised as this is peak holiday time.

8. Camping: Some space for small to medium tents is available within club grounds; book on the entry form, please. Some places for small campervans are also available. A Camping and Caravan Club site is adjacent to the sailing club and is highly suitable for larger tents, caravans and motorhomes. PLEASE BOOK EARLY WITH THE CAMPSITE AS AUGUST IS HIGH SEASON AND THE SITE WILL BE BUSY. Contact: Milarrochy Bay Camping and Caravanning Club Site; Telephone: 01360 870236. (No calls after 8pm please). For further details, visit http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ and search for “Milarrochy Bay” Before end of March bookings can only be made online by Camping and Caravanning Club members.

9. The Forestry Commission has a campsite by the lochside at Cashel, one mile to the north of the sailing club. Contact: Bookings: 0845 130 8224 Site: 01360 870234.

10. Loch Lomond Waterfront has upmarket lodges at Balmaha, 1½ miles south of the club. Contact: 01360 870144, or see website http://www.loch-lomond-waterfront.co.uk/.

11. B&B and hotel accommodation is available nearby; the following are within two miles of the club:
• The Oak Tree Inn Balmaha 01360 870357
• Mrs Bates, Bay Cottage Balmaha 01360 870346
• Mrs Cronin, Conic View Cottage Balmaha 01360 870297
• Mrs Crooks, Arrochoile Balmaha 01360 870231
• Mrs MacFadyen, Dunleen Milton of Buchanan 01360 870274
• Mrs Nichols, Mar Achlais Milton of Buchanan 01360 870300
• Critreoch 08452 255121 (next to the club)

12. Self-catering accommodation is also available locally. See http://www.loch-lomond.net/

Social Events

13. A social programme is being arranged between Monday 29th July and Friday 2nd August. A range of activities will be available or suggested for families and friends, including boat trips on Loch Lomond, and a visit to a nearby island nature reserve. The club is also within easy reach of many major tourist attractions in Central Scotland.

Meals and Catering

14. Daily catering of soup, rolls, baked potatoes etc. will be available at the club at lunchtimes. Breakfast will be available daily.

Loch Lomond Sailing Club is looking forward to giving you a warm welcome and a great week!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:24 am 

As advised in the advance information above, Loch Lomond SC has limited space for small campervans and is limited to 3 by the club's caravan licence. 2 spaces have already been taken! Anyone wanting the last available space please get in touch. First come gets it. Small campervans only please. Large ones at the camp site next door.

Peter

Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:05 pm 

All 3 campervan spaces have now been booked. Any more campervans please use the Camping & Caravan Club site next door.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 am 

NOTICE OF RACE and ENTRY FORM

Notice of Race and Entry Form are now available on the LLSC website at http://www.lochlomondsc.org/whats-on/icac-europa-cup/

Peter

Last edited by petermclaren on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:00 pm 

Tents and Campervans

We have now been allowed a fouth campervan space, and those booked in are Colin N, Gareth C, Jamie M and Roger H. Anyone else will have to use the Camping and Caravanning Club site next door. See NOR for contact details.

At present there is a limit of 10 smallish tents, so get your entries in early if you want one. Phil Allen has already entered with his tent.

Fees have been set at £3 per night or tents, and £10 per night for campervans. Either add the fee to your Entry or pay at Reception.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 am 

GET YOUR ENTRIES IN.

Don't forget that you must get you entry in the post by 15 July to qualify for the reduced entry fee. Please send it off as soon as possible. Your cheque won't be cashed yet!

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:05 pm 

Are there any thoughts/recommendations/experience about local hotels/B&B? Looks as if I might be able to consider going, but am not keen on a tent!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:33 pm 

Jim, See list on NOR. Oak Tree Inn at Balmaha is recommended.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:51 pm 

On Monday I booked somewhere to stay.
On Wednesday I broke the daggerboard.

Not very seriously though, I'm sure I'll have it fixed in time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:06 pm 

.....Not very seriously though, I'm sure I'll have it fixed in time.

You'd better get it fixed in time!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 am 

Europa Cup Sailing Instructions

SIs are now available on the LLSC website at http://www.lochlomondsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IC_SailingInstructions2013.pdf

See you all very soon.

Peter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 am 

There are daily reports on YACHTS & YACHTING from the Europeans in Scotland. Rob.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:20 pm 

Any results yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 pm 

I'm sure someone will get the full Europa Cup results posted as soon as they've got home, put the cat in the washing machine and fed the wet sailing clothes and stuff...

In the meantime, to keep you going here are some notes from the tail end of the fleet which I made in the evenings...

Your correspondent arrived around 8pm on Sunday to find a dinghy park with a good number of Canoes in, some of which appeared to have already gone sailing. The conclusion, therefore is that they must have been practising… I suppose we must expect a level of commitment at a Europeans.
After casually poaching some excellent mackerel pate and a couple of pork pies I went off to find my lodgings and also look into the possibility of net connections. Well, it seems the lodging has wifi. Sadly my faithful old laptop, veteran of championship reports going back to the last century, does not, and the kindle isn't getting much of a signal. Must get one of these smartphone things I suppose. Anyway, that's why this had to wait until I got home.

For the first time for a few years ICs outnumbered ACs, by quite a margin in fact, and the majority of ICs were post 2005 rules boats in appreciable variety. The only significant designer missing was Chris Maas I think.. Even amongst the older boats there's a Slurp or two and a highly modified Nethercott, so there are only a handful of true One design ICs.

Anyway, by squinting sideways out of the window I can see out onto a highly picturesque and totally windless loch. Still, it is dusk, calm is only to be expected. Tomorrow the fun starts, featuring games like "Can we get Colin's Canoe to measure" and "Can I repair my halyard lock trigger line without having to rethread the whole thing". After that we may do some sailing.

Day One

When I write reports for my club's racing I can fill a couple of paragraphs describing the course. No such luck here: all courses except the long distance race are scheduled to be old style Olympic, triangle/sausage, with the start/finish as a gate part way up the beat – normal for a Canoe Champs. As we have already had perfectly decent proper racing reports published what follows will miss out who placed where in what race: instead hopefully provding a bt of atmosphere…

We started – or rather didn't start – with an hour's postponement waiting for the wind. Forecast rain pretty much held off, and when some early adopters sailed out to test the water they encountered a reasonable enough racing breeze, though not enough to take the boat away from the light airs settings.

Those of us who are not used to having our lakes surrounded by billion ton lumps of rock looked up wind trying to wonder what these hills and mountains were going to do to a light vaguely easterly breeze. The answers seemed to be "lots" and "nothing predictable". The first failure to predict occurred at about 90 seconds before the IC start, when a sudden and unexpected lull – first of the day - marooned various unwary competitors some way from the start line. The victims even included this reservoir sailor who really should know better. A complex race ensued, with much wind variation. Your correspondent painstakingly worked his way up a few places, only to lose them all again when very complicated things happened to the wind at the top of lap two. I then put myself at the back with the aid of a 720 after managing to touch someone at the mark rounding. Both boats tacked twice in the zone, and, with the aid of a 90 degree windshift managed to swap from inside boat to outside and vice versa. They also went from overlapped to clear ahead to overlapped whilst doing so, all in barely enough wind to keep control: it was more than I could do to work out the subtleties of RRS18… A little consideration, however made me realise that as I was currently both windward and outside boat the chances of being totally in the right were near enough zero, even if my victim wasn't making as tight a mark rounding as he might, so I did some turns.
I don't know who the Greek god of sportsmanship was, a sort of mirror image of Nemesis I suppose, but said mythological deity promptly repaid me by helping me spot a dream shift which got me more places than I had lost back on the next beat.

Race 2 started in a bit more breeze – indeed I dialed up medium-light settings on the jib. A short first beat saw several overstanding the windward mark with their first tack and having to try and thread their way through on port! I found myself having to do a turn after clouting the mark mid fleet. By lap two there was clearly something up on the weather front, and I tacked onto a big shift at the leeward mark and as the wind came in it actually lifted me past the committee boat, and I had to free off to pass through. There was lightning sparkling on the hills, and as I went through the line in the squall a black and white flag was hoisted in the RC boat. Abandoned. Cursing the couple of places I'd just gained I headed in at speed, great speed in fact, as did we all, although the later arrivals copped the full force of the squall and had very interesting lee shore arrivals…

Last edited by jimc on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.