The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Europa Cup 2103, Loch Lomond
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 pm 

Some good photos there. Hope you got your boat sorted. Come over to Blithfield the first w/e in Oct on the Sat and do some sailing/ training with us.
Gaz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:32 am 

Thanks Gaz, the credit should really go to my dad, as he took them!

Unfortunately, I went for my first sail at Draycote yesterday, the winds were pretty good, and I got out on the seat hiking, and fell in a few times too! However I felt the boat was getting slower and slower, and deeper in the water, so I went back in after about 1 hour, to discover the boat was full of water again. It seems the temporary repair with Sikaflex hadn't held. So I drained the boat of water for another go, and spent twenty minutes on the water this time, and came back in only to find that the boat had filled with nearly as much water as when I had been out for 1 hour...

I then decided to open up the hatches and have a look, only to discover that the starboard side, which Alistair Warren very kindly helped us with was intact, and still very strong, however the side that we did had just gone, we couldn't even find the piece of wood covered with Sikaflex, anymore, leaving a great big crack along the daggerboard trunk which is about 6mm tall and a good 3-4 inches long.

Lessons learned - always take a tube of Sikaflex with you in your tool box, and a piece of wood.

So it looks as though it is unless the next tube of Sikaflex holds as well a Alistair's temporary repair, then it seems unlikely that I would be going to Blithfield for this training event, and then it will be fixed professionally by Rob Bell, at some point, but most likely after Oxford.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 pm 

Hi Max
What I did before I stuck the bit of wood in was to clean the area well with acetone, you would prob find that meths would do as well, pure alchol/ ethanol/ isopronal (poor spelling-shame spell check does not understand...) but not white spirit as that leaves a residue. Then make sure that theres plenty of the sikaflex underneath and behind, push on the bit of wood and move it fore-aft as you are pushing it to bed it on, there should be plenty ooze out, it not then not enough!, then (with gloves on) run your finger around the joint to create a fillet. I then finished off by smearing the surface with the remainder to try and seal the bit of wood a little bit.
Very much a temporary repair, but I hope you can get out on the water soon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:02 pm 

Hi Alistair,

We were down in the boat park again yesterday, to do almost exactly what you suggested (although we did forget the acetone...) anyway, I went for a sail with 249 today, and found a large improvement. I was surprised by how little water came out, and how easy it was (from there on after) to handle on shore after a sail.

Now, if this holds, and if I can persuade my parents, I will hopefully be off to Blithfield on the 5th (it is also not much of a trek - especially compared to Loch Lomond!) I have just got a bit of persuading to do.

I also need to get a bit of practice in, and it looks like Blithfield is the perfect opportunity to get it done!

Cheers,

Max

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 pm 

We'll sort your dad out with tea and coffee...and a seat on the rib if he want!
Well done with your boat.
Gaz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:47 pm 

Thanks Gaz, I have managed to pursued my dad to take me to Blithfield, but I will confirm at a later date about confirmation of going, but we are definitely interested.

Do you know who else may be going?

Cheers,

Max

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Europa Cup 2013, Loch Lomond
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:50 pm 

Hi Gaz,

Sadly I can't come. I have recently discovered I have a DofE weekend on the same date, and if I want to complete Gold DofE I must go.

So sadly, till the next one....

Thanks anyway,

Max

Profile E-mail