AUS 25 gets wet

The forum for discussions in the southern hemisphere
Geoff Harman

Post by Geoff Harman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:13 am

Finally launched ICDC3 AUS 25 "Rat"
Only a short sail but tracked well and felt good.
Definitely less stable than the Nethercott.
Geoff Harman

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 am

Any pics?
Apparently there are pics above, but i can't view them on my PC. So I'll put them here again incase others are having problems:

Phil Stevenson

Post by Phil Stevenson » Tue May 01, 2007 1:54 am

Well done Geoff,
Nice looking DC.
I note the reef points in the mainsail. Hope they are not needed too often.
Phil S
Design perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing else to add but when there is nothing else which can be taken away.
http://philscanoes.blogspot.com/

Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Fri May 04, 2007 1:06 am

That is one purposeful, powerful, clean looking machine. I'd love to see some pics of it in 12K and chop. Chomp chomp.

Paul 8)
"Exuberance is better than good taste" -Flaubert

Chris Maas

Post by Chris Maas » Fri May 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Congratulations Geoff. It looks good.
Do you have any thoughts to share about being able to go under the boom rather than behind it? Any other sailing impressions yet?

Chris

Geoff Harman

Post by Geoff Harman » Sun May 06, 2007 10:56 am

I have enough trouble staying upright on dry land (I don't go into the china and glassware section when shopping) so I have always tacked under the boom.
I think there is insufficient volume in the stern to allow for stand up tacking.
Looking at some recent photos which I hope to post soon I notice that as soon as I am aft of the plank the bow pops up.
I sailed today in 6-7 knots against the usual fleet of cats.
Upwind it appeared faster than the Nethercott and pointed considerably higher.
Downwind there was little noticable difference in boat speed.
I think it will be very challenging in a 15 to 20 knot seabreeze.
At least here the water temperature is 20C and air temperature 28-30C
Geoff Harman

Christian AUS

Post by Christian AUS » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:28 am

http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting. ... Page=30250

Well AUS 25 got even wetter yesterday....

Queensland, beautiful one day 'dark and stormy' the next and I bet Geoff is wishing we'd stuck to drinking 'dark and stormys' than letting me loose on The Rat.

First impressions of AUS25 are that it is light and looks fast, the quality of build is excellent and the boat really does look good. As we laid it over to rig it I'm confident that the boat is less than 50kg at the moment. AUS25's seat and carriage are very light (the seat blew away from the boat while we were rigging), and proved very strong when I hit the water. As we were rigging, we had the IC and DC laid over and I've not seen a boat that makes the IC look tubby, until now.
Rigging: the boat rigged easily on it's side, with a nice looking dacron jib, and a flattish heavy clothed mainsail from local UK Sails sail maker. The mast is a NZ C-Tech spar that is very nicely turned out and the boom is a home built spar.

Wheeling the AUS25 down to the water needed both of us, even with the boom off (narrow boats still need a little axle width in the trolley).

The Launch: with a pretty solid 17-22 knots Geoff and I walked the boat out to knee deep (his not mine) water to get the rudder and plate in, I unfurled the jib, grabbed the tiller extension, jumped on and capsized withing 2m of where I stepped on. The boat had some mambo and skidded out on me before I got sorted. The boat righter easily from on it's side with just under half plate down and I tried again. This time I kind of wet started, sitting on the seat boat pulled to windward - sheet in the main and I was off. I quickly pointed up to a fine reach, and went to the end of the seat. The boat felt like a rocket sled, right until i plowed the seat into a cross wave and realised that unlike my boat, AUS25 had no hiking straps. I stayed with the wave, AUS25 capsized just ahead of me.

I quickly righted the 'The Rat' and suitably humbled, I 'chicken sailed' (feet firmly on gunwhales) steadily out on Port Tack.
The boat handled the large waves well and the carriage and plank felt firm, steering was light and responsive and so I went to chuck my first tack - a bit to conservative on speed so I backed out of 'irons' went onto a fine reach to get speed - poked it through the tack and was just climbing out the other side when - SNAP - my sailing day went to custard.

The forestay snapped - all 19 strands parted company and the jib was down. The mast was still up, as Geoff built a tube that holds the stepped mast. I let the boat ditch to look at the damage. It was just the forestay, and I figured I might be able to run to shore at another beach. I chicken rolled and brought her up on Port, for a square run but I bore off to quickly and ditched again. When I righted her again the main had come down a foot or two from the head of the mast, and I knew I'd need assistance to get in.
Thankfully Geoff, and two willing F18 sailors (thank you) from the Humpybong club came to my rescue. Unfortunately, I had bounced the mast on the bottom and snapped the top section at the sleeve point and worse - I had lost the mainsail.

I feel terrible for what happened, but there were some positives out of the sail. The boat was definitely manageable in the conditions (though it would have been nice to tack and gybe it more), the boat felt very quick (though this could not be measured on the day), and after well over an hour on it's side and upside down (including hitting the bottom to break the mast) the hull plank carriage and foils were still strong (I bailed a couple of sponge-fulls out when we got to shore).
My impressions: I got the same vibe as when I sailed my first IC (AUS17) just over 4 years ago - 'Damn this is fast and fun, I want one' (anyone interested in a fully sorted IC, AUS018 http://www.internationalcanoe.yachting. ... nuID=/12/0?).

Well done Geoff, thank you for letting me sail 'The Rat' I am sorry I broke it. I look forward to seeing AUS25 at the worlds in just over 6 months.