2014 AUS Canoe Action.

The forum for discussions in the southern hemisphere
Sezed

2014 AUS Canoe Action.

Post by Sezed » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 am

Ok Gentlemen, time to get serious about this, who is doing what with their canoes in 2014/2015?

Spring is upon us, and though the nights are still cold, the days are getting nice here in sunny Canberra. Despite the fact that LBG is terrible, the Y is starting up this weekend, so I am there. Initially on the Log, but looking forward to taking possession of Erica the Loch Wallaby and picking the boat that is right for the conditions.

Jim will come play with me when he can.

I am picking the Y over the CYC for two reasons, it's a smaller club, so they don't take themselves too seriously, and they tolerate my planking capsizing shenanigans. The other reason is that on Tuesdays they have a large kids contingent sailing after school, I normally tag along and sail the log, more time on the water with a safety boat for me, and more exposure to a possible broader audience for the canoes...

Chris, have you sorted your plank yet?

Brett is new to the class, ok so am I still, but he will have MCR? up and running soon.

Hayden is back from a successful campaign, hope your arm gets better soon so you can teach me a thing or too.

Christian is enjoying some time with his daughter in the NS14, which is awesome, but since I don't have friends or kids, I will stick to the canoe!

So that is at least 4 of us in the same sort of region, I don't mind travelling a few hours to a regatta every now and then.

Pete_AUS09

Re: 2014 AUS Canoe Action.

Post by Pete_AUS09 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:33 pm

I am moving to Newcastle over the Christmas break and have no idea where I will be sailing. Having said that I do plan to get back into sailing canoe's next year.

AUS9 should be repaired by the time I get there, AUS25 is sailable now, AUS32 is a repairable write-off that I would like to get sorted out. I haven't really commented on it in public and I am barely an amateur sailer, but the flat pack hull feels really good. I had forgotten just how good 32 feels compared to a Neathercott until I took AUS9 out for a float and put a knee through the dance floor. The flatpack makes a OD feel like a Heron by comparison. The contrast is astounding, even to a novice. I wish I had the skill and experience to really dial it in quickly but hopefully I will get there in the end. Thanks Geoff for your design and patience.

32 also needs a main and jib (long story) but I think i have enough spares to get all three on the water at the same time..

Any news on a worlds in Aus ? I would like to attend and not embarrass myself :)

Also bringing a 12ft skiff that needs a new home. I need a skipper and a massive boost in fitness and boat handling skills before I could really enjoy it.

H Virtue

Post by H Virtue » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm not sure exactly when my boat gets back in oz other than it will be here in time for the I14 Worlds in Geelong next Jan. The west coast US I14 fleet are helping me get my boat back home allowing me to share their container (huge thanks to them otherwise Acrobat was not coming home due to cost).

Those not friends with me on Facebook wont know I fractured my 5th metatarsal during the Worlds, I only found out when I get back in Oz after hurting again exactly what I ad done. Im in plaster for about 6 weeks so no sailing for me until then :(.

I'm happy and keen to run some coaching/tuning weekends to help get the Australian fleet up to speed. Those interested send me an email h_virtue@hotmail.com I will include all those who email interest in this sort of weekend so we can get a nice group together. We can maybe do it before I get my boat back that way I can spend more time helping and less time sailing myself.

In the mean time I'm single handily putting together a report of the 2014 Worlds which I must say was everything and more then I expected.

Also in the back ground I'm working on getting the next Worlds in Australia.

Cheers
Hayden

Brett

Post by Brett » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:51 am

I am slowly getting everything together with MCR, hope to be on the water by the end of October. Plan is to travel around after getting some time on the boat close to home and figuring out 1. how not to look like a jackass and 2. make sure everything is strong enough

Sezed

Post by Sezed » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am

I have been sailing most Saturdays and Tuesdays so far, and have even managed to complete enough races (usually last) that the club has even worked out my personal handicap... So the IC rates at 93.5, I think that is the fastest monohull at the club. My personal handicap is 147.5. :-) so apparently I am a terrible sailor! That is 30 points clear of the next closest!

Still love the log, despite it being a handful, have reverted back to Phils original sail, seems the sailmaker made me a moth sail instead of a log sail, and now that I have the old sails batten pockets repaired I will use it, seems to be a much better balanced boat with the full sail.

Still haven't done any maintenance, and the log certainly was built tough, because it handles my punishment, I think I average 37 capsizes a race, though I have narrowed these down to only really occurring during tacks and gibes in wind > 10 knots. Lost count of how many cartwheels and wipeouts I have had when the wind picks up and the log just keeps bouncing back...need to work on going upwind. And keeping upright going downwind

Jim has started coming down, though on his first week, last Saturday, he was sucked into a sharpie trapeze! Hopefully he will be back planking this weekend.

Borrowed a Laser for this Tuesday twilight, as it was really quite blowy... Won't be doing that again, having never sailed a laser before, everything just felt heavy and slow and wrong... Like going from a go cart to a truck.

Hope the rest of you are having as much fun as I am...

H Virtue

Post by H Virtue » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 am

I wont be back on the water until the new year my boat arrives back in Australia around xmas time add to that my fractured hand is still needs rehab to be function properly on the IC, which at this rate of recovery will be about the same time Acrobat arrives in OZ then all I have to do is screw all the fittings back on....
H.