The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canadian Boats
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 am 

Would a boat with number KC10 be the same construction as the King Ferry Canoe ICs with USA numbers 150-170 that were made for the 1981 Worlds? Is there a serial number anywhere on the boats? Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Canadian Boats
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:02 pm 

I believe that KC10 was the prototype King Ferry Canoe. It was built a little differently than the later boats in that it had a 1/4" aft deck instead of a 3/16" aft deck. It also had first generation lack of stringers in the bottom and was not as stiff as the later boats ( which also weren't very stiff. It was originally red and named Rosebud. I sold it to a doctor in Toronto ( I think) named Tony Wells. I'm really surprised it still exists. The HIN number was engraved onto the starboard side of the stern, and is probably filled with paint and primer. It is possible that it is another boat that has had KC 10 sails added to it. The inlay on the front of the seat carriage was a bit more "Tijuana" than I remember Rosebud.
The US sail number was 151. US 150 was a glass hull I imported from England which I finished and sold to Chris Converse. It was so bad, I had to take it back and build him a new boat, which was actually lucky because "Rabbit" changed our perception of fast and set the stage for what was to come. I stopped sailing Rosebud and built Kermit in about 2 weeks. When we showed up in Sweden, no one noticed until the first 3 races, none of which finished, but either Chris or I was launched by several minutes when they blew them off. I collected the first in my long string of silver medals, and Chris was 7th I think.
The King Ferry boats were not the best built boats ever, but they were pretty cheap and went plenty fast. I'm amazed that they are still around 30+ years later. I figured they would be good for about 10 when I was building them.
SHC