The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Info sort re K 196
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:56 pm 

Hi, I am new to Int canoes and have just bought an old boat in need of TLC. It is an FRP boat but with ali spars and solid Dacron sails. The sail no is K 196. I bought it through an ad on your market place from a Jim Barr in Northern Ireland.
If anyone knows any history regarding this boat I would love to hear from them. I have no information at all, no certificate etc. Jim thought it was built by Piranha.
I hope one day, when I've tidied it up and mastered the basics, to see you at some meetings.
Regards Rit. ritwalton@yahoo.co.uk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Info sort re K 196
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm 

Hi Rit, as far as I remember K196 was new in 1987 just before Plymouth Worlds of that year. It is a Pyrhana. Bob or Steve Austin may know more of the history. It may have belonged to one of them, but if not they had numbers very close to it. There was a batch built in that year, 3 of which were chartered to visiting helmsmen and sold off afterwards. They generally came with Batt sails and Proctor Kappa masts. I unfortuneately bought one the following year, was ripped-off by the class association who sold it to me for £1700 and declared £1100 later on the balance sheets. High commision!
Cheers,

Simon Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:23 pm 

Hi Rit
Following on from what Simon said, I owned 196. I bought it direct from Graham Mackereth, (Mr Pyranha) in the autumn of 1987. It was the first of the MK2’s and I don’t think it was used in the Worlds of that year, my relocation is that Graham intended the boat for himself but never used it - the Mk2 Pyranhas had production problems and some were built over-weight – he preferred to build and use 209 instead.

When I bought 196, later to be named Kagemusha (Japanese for “Shadow Warrior”), she was in Pyranha’s workshop having a new foredeck and other alterations (originally the “dance floor” ran all the way to the bow) A bulkhead was put in and the dance floor in front of this was chopped out to reduce weight. This all brought the weight down to being acceptably near minimum.
She was built using carbon+Kevlar cloth/foam/ Kevlar and built as strong as the proverbial “brick s**t house” and should still be a great boat for, as you put it, “learning the basics”.
One of the problems of the Pyranha’s was that they had a rather individual approach to the design of the deck so after a season of cursing and swearing I did what everyone else did and took a jigsaw to the deck, cut down the tower-like mast gate and got rid of the moulding for the circular kicker track and replaced all that with a couple of beams made in foam/Kevlar/epoxy for mounting all the cleats on.*

I sailed her ‘till 1992 when I sold her to a guy in Perth who in turn sold her to Tyrone Currie in Northern Ireland. I assume the last owner bought the boat from him.

Incidentally I bought the boat without mast, sails and foils so when it left me it had Supperspar M7 mast, Proctor boom, home built cedar/glass laminated foils, and (if memory serves me right) Storrer and Bax or Storrer/Owen Speedsails.

Contact Mike Rowe he’ll tell you how to get a new certificate.

Enjoy the boat, the IC is a great class with a great bunch of friendly people.
Have happy sailing in the New Year and keep us up-to-date with your adventures .

Ian McP

* Just been into the loft and dug out some piccies to scan, two taken at Pyranha when I first saw the boat and one taken during my mods.

Attachments:
K196~mods.jpg
K196~mods.jpg [ 75.35 KB | Viewed 4198 times ]
K196~deck.jpg
K196~deck.jpg [ 49.76 KB | Viewed 4206 times ]
K196~hull.jpg
K196~hull.jpg [ 52.38 KB | Viewed 4196 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:42 pm 

Hi Simon / Ian, thanks very much for your input. I particularly enjoyed seeing the photos, they explain a lot about the deck arrangement. It's exactly the same now as in the first photo and only requires the daggerboard box sorting out and the join around the top of the rudder box. I'll post some photos once it's all sorted and epoxied bright yellow! It's even still on the same trolley by the look of it though it's just had extensive welding carried out and I've just made it a road base from an old trailer. I'll be sailing it on Alton Water reservoir and the river Deben in the summer as I'm based in Melton, Woodbridge in Suffolk. There's another IC at Alton Water so that will be helpful for tuning her up. Unfortunately I'm working on her outside so can't wait for some warm weather! Rit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:44 am 

hi Rit,

"I'll post some photos once it's all sorted and epoxied bright yellow!"....
From memory the MK2's had a vinylester gelcoat. I'd take advice from some of the polymer/boat building gurus before epoxying the hull as vinylester and epoxy are notoriously bad at bonding with each other. The twenty odd years since building may have lessened the problem though.

Try Googling - "vinylester bonding to epoxy" for starters.

Perhaps Alistair Warren or Steve Clark (USA) and others, might be able to give some advice.

Ian McP
GBR253

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:54 pm 

Hi Ian,
thanks for the info re the Vinylester gel coat on 196, I'll certainly take advice before causing myself all sorts of problems. I'd love copies of the photographs you posted but I don't know if I can lift them from the Forum. If not perhaps you would email them to me on ritwalton@yahoo.co.uk . Thanks again for the advice, Rit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:47 pm 

Rit,

'Will email you pics direct in the new few days.

Ian