Sliding Seat

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Colin Newman

Sliding Seat

Post by Colin Newman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Just a thought, :idea: now that the 'Sliding Seat' is being sent out in electronic format, I would hate all Peter's excellent efforts as Editor to get lost for ever after we clear our e-mail inboxes at some date in the future. It may be planned, but should there not be an archival section added to the web site where all editions of the Sliding Seat can be read in years to come? Future generations will want to read how I shaved George Gyngell's bottom when enjoying their coffee!

May be someone will tell me this already exists if I click on something! We cannot all be computer savy and I must admit to missing the paper version of the newsletter as it is easier to read with my coffee after dinner than going upstairs to the PC; still I guess that is why I have a printer and a file for e-mail attachments.

Somewhere in here is a serious point, with electronic record keeping, the history of a class is more easily lost. I am even more concerned this is hapening to the Moths, up to 2002 the class produced a printed yearbook which ensured records were laid down once a year. This has now lapsed. I still enjoy going back to early editions seing the exploits recorded of a youthful Simon Allen, Colin Brown or a certain Robin Wood in his boats 'Cock Robin' and 'Robin's Nest', all from a date when I had only just started sailing. However, try to find out who was Moth Travellers Series Champion in 2004 and it is not that easy finding the record on the web as it may not have been recorded and the results table for that year has been deleted from the site. (I will leave you guesing who it was--not that difficult!) We do not want anything similar happening to our IC historical records which the 'Sliding Seat' will become in the years ahead.

Oral history is great, ex-Moth sailors in the IC fleet may have known Major Tony Hibbert (he was the man who guided the split when the British Moth, the Europe and the International Moth class was formed). Now aged about 94, he was present at two recent Moth events, including presenting the prizes at the Worlds. He was still full of tails of historic sail measurement controversies as if they were yesterday, whilst taking a lively interest in hydrofoils. However, such things need systematic recording. Let's protect our records one way or another.

neil

Re: Sliding Seat

Post by neil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:00 pm

I suggested a number of years ago when I took over the site that we had an archive of Sliding Seats, in fact the early site layouts had an empty space.

It would be very easy to create an archive if I had the content. So......if you email electronic versions I'll get them on the site. If there aren't electronic versions then I cope with paper versions as I have access to a document scanner that'll do 50 pages in one go.
K26 - update on progress at pegasus18.com/zenith

simon allen

Post by simon allen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:00 pm

I would like to see the printed copy of the newsletter still in existence, so you can show visitors without having to find a computer. Also useful to for the doctor's /dentist's waiting room etc. In fact I think we should go back to receiving the printed copy by default.
SA
simon allen

petermclaren

Post by petermclaren » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am

I have retained electronic versions of all issues of Sliding Seat since I became editor in late 2005. I'll forward them on to Neil to fill up that empty space on the website. I also have my own paper copies of Sliding Seat going back many years.

Regarding Simon's point about everyone receiving a paper copy this could be done but at the additonal expense of copying and mailing. Also you would only get pictures in black & white. At present paper copies are sent to those not on the internet (or whose e-mail addresses aren't held). In this modern electronic world it may be that everyone needs to print out their own paper copy if required (who said that the computer would save paper? has anyone ever actually seen a paperless office?) Something for our committee to decide.

Peter

Colin Newman

Post by Colin Newman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks Peter for all your splendid work with the 'Sliding Seat'. Upon reflection I tend to agree with Simon and would still prefer to get a paper version of the 'Sliding Seat'. The last edition was the first paperless version I have received. I now realise, months later I have only read bits of it. It takes a deliberate decision to go upstairs switch on my PC and read the electronic version, probably when checking my e-mails. It just does not happen. One tends to forget it is there waiting to be read. The former paper version would get left on the coffee table with the newspaper and get picked up and read cover to cover on several different occasions, and by visitors. The electronic version is just less reader-friendly. It is a bit expensive in ink and paper and time consuming to print out the 26 pages from the computer.

May be I am reflecting the reader/lifestyle habits of 'the older generation' but if there are enough readers like me (not wanting to get into portable laptops etc) may be the Committee would feel it was a worth while expenditure of BCU funds to give everyone who wants it a choice also to get the paper version, given that one has to be produced anyway?

SteveC

Post by SteveC » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Peter,

Can you send me copies of these as I am starting to load up the new website and I could do with some information to put on it.

Please send to steveclarke@dsl.pipex.com
Steve Clarke (UK)
GBR338 "Money4Nuffin

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Colin
Will discuss at the committee meeting this Sat whether we can facilitate large print and braille for the Sliding Seat. would you need help with turning the pages, as I am not sure we could run to a long legged blonde personal assistant.

:lol: