NATIONALS INFO

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Rob

NATIONALS INFO

Post by Rob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

Registration for this years Nationals will be taking place at Dale YC this Saturday morning from 9.30 to 11.45. There will be a briefing at 12.00 with the first race start time not before 13.00. :) Rob.

Barry Watkin

Re: NATIONALS INFO

Post by Barry Watkin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Come on then tell us unfortunates that had to work what happened?
It's windy & cold in the Solent & I haventsailed in two no three weeks and I need a fix! Barry :mrgreen: GBR176AC
BMW

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Info supplied by Gareth:-
It was a typical British Summer with strong winds, rain, some sun, not a lot & some very spectacular racing.
Racing on Saturday & Monday were cancelled due to very strong winds.
Racing on Sunday was F4-5, choppy & wet. 3 races were sailed.
Tuesday again F4-5, choppy & not quite so wet, 3 more races sailed making 6 in total.
Results are :-
AC's
1 Robin Wood
2 Gareth Caldwell
3 John Robson
4 Steve Bowen
5 Phil Allen
6 Colin Brown
7 Charlie Chandler
8 Peter McLaren
9 Steve Clarke
10 Dave Timpson
11 Maurice Clark
12 Richard Hudson
13 Craig Robinson
14 Pete Coinway
15 Tony Robertshaw
16 Martin Osborne

IC's
1 John Ellis (ICOD)
2 Colin Newman (ICOD)
3 Chris Hamp (ICOD)
4 Hugh DeIongh (ICOD)
5 P Robin

Barry Watkin

Post by Barry Watkin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks Rob(Gareth) I dont know if that makes me feel better or worse! Tomorrows forecast 17knots gusting 32! the minds willing the legs aren't Cheers anyway Regards :mrgreen: Barry
BMW

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 am

NATIONALS REPORT
by G Caldwell.

Despite the severe weather warning for S Wales a healthy 22 International Canoes arrived at Dale YC to contest the 2008 National Championships. There was strength in depth, with newcomers to the fleet mixing with previous National, European & World champions.
Saturday's racing was cancelled early on in the day due to high winds, giving the fleet time to chat, discuss the development of the IC, or increase the turnover of the local coffee shop.
Racing started on Sunday with the OD planning for four races back to back in what was forecast to be a window of opportunity regarding suitable sailing weather. Racing took place in the entrance to the horbour with mile long legs in an increasing swell & breeze.
RACE 1 15-16 knots 1st AC S Bowen 1st IC J Ellis
RACE 2 16-17 knots 1st AC J Robson 1st IC C Newman
RACE 4 17-20 knots 1st AC R Wood 1st IC C Hampe
Many boats found the combination of short period swell & increasing wind difficult, with many places & races lost due to inadvertent checking of foils at inappropreate times. With the swell & wind continuing to increase, the OD followed the lead of the boats & headed towards the bar (situated upstairs in the safety of the sailing club & not the one offshore!).
Gales & waves breaking on the rocks within the aproaches of the harbour enabled sailors to enjoy a rest day on the Monday. Caffine input was again called for by some to negate the effects of 'THE GRIFFIN' medicine, whilst others walked the coastal footpath or hit the surf.
The gales blew themselves ( & those camping!) nearly out by Tuesday morning & racing commenced at 10.00 with 3 races back to back. There was a big swell entering the harbour, so a course was set near to the shelter of Dale ..... appreciated by both spectators & helms. With the prominent breeze, not everyone appreciated the OD's humour of positioning the leeward mark that made the most of the swell, especially when trying to gybe or drop kites!
RACE 4 14-16 knots 1st AC R Wood 1st IC P Robin
RACE 5 17-18 knots 1st AC G Caldwell 1st IC J Ellis
Race 6 15-17 knots 1st AC J Robson 1st IC J Ellis
Congratulations to both Robin Wood(AC) & John Ellis(IC) who retained their National Championship trophies.
Appreciation to John Webber & his team for running an excellent Championships. Well done to newcomers of Chris Hampe & Charlie Chandler (Finising 3rd IC & 7th AC respectively) who both impressed, pushing the more established helms all the way.

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Sounds like you all had fun, shame I could not make it. Any ideas where next years are?
Alistair
Alistair

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:14 am

Next year the nat's are scheduled to be held at Stone SC. (Some time in June) Stone SC is incidently featured in the latest edition of Yachts and Yachting.

Chris Hampe

GBR 238

Barry Watkin

Post by Barry Watkin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:19 pm

June would be great but please avoid 19th to 21st as that would conflict with the Round the Island Race. Which would mean three years in a row work conflicts, which sadly mirrors the number of years I've been canoe sailing! :mrgreen: GBR176AC
BMW

adrianM

Post by adrianM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Well bringing the nationals back to the Blackwater should raise 2 local boats
and between now and then giving me time to put some more hours on the water
under my belt - brings back memorys of the 70's when i was a cadet at Stone watching the Euro's

Colin Newman

Post by Colin Newman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Has Gareth's report been sent to Yachts and Yachting? Nothing is on their web site yet. It is good to get all the coverage possible in the press. There is one obvious error, 16 + 5 = 21, yet 22 boats were at the event! Yes, Mike Shreeve is missing from the IC list, in at 5th, relegating Phil Robin to 6th. It was not the best of conditions to be sailing the new ICs and it was a shame the other 50 Kg boats could not make it; I wanted to see which designs go best in a blow. If the new boats are going to attract new sailors to the class or encourage One Design sailors to join them, they need to get to the main events and compete with the One Designs. Getting bums on seats is important if the IC is to prosper and bring new IC sailors into the class. Newcommers are not likely to want to invest in new 50kg boats unless the fleet is seen to be thriving in the UK.

Stone is a good 'traditional' Canoe venue. When the dates in June are known it would be good to have them ASAP as I may also be trying to go to Keil Week arround the end of June. About 30 Moths raced in Germany there this year and in 2009 it may be adopted as the Moth Europeans, unless the Swis come up with a better offer. I hope it will not be a clash. Are the dates for the IC Europa Cup in Sweden next year yet known?