What is an "Avalon built boat?

If you have a UK related question post it here.

michael Brigg

What is an "Avalon built boat?

Post by michael Brigg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:28 pm

I have recently been sorting through a back catalogue of old photos and found a picture of K101 "Dicey." as originally posted on ebay (I took a copy at the time)

Dicey was described as an "Avalon built" hull and was essentially identical to K102 Torment. Both had raked back Sapele patterned ply and identical Sliding seat (Bacon slicer) arrangement with a small "Centerplate" box combined with the false deck/floor. The plate was a swinging arrangement sat on a pin at the front end of the box. Great for silted shallow harbours but rather less effective than a dagger board for controlling the trim of the boat.

The main design feature that was obvious was the enormous bouyancy contained within the bow which rises up in front of the deck stepped mast like the bonnet of a classic racing car. At speed this combines with a 1/3 inch beading along the top edge to shroud the hull within a a massive bow wave and spray that practically entombs the boat but on the plus side, it is immune to the other problem of disappearing down the mine.

Coming back on topic, I believe the picture and description that I have of "Dicey" clearly indicates that as her Sister ship, Torment is very likely an Avalon build.

What I want to know is whether this defines Torment as a different design to the Nethercott or does it simply indicate that the builder (Avalon) was conforming to the Nethercott design as applied to the Hull measurements. The mast foot is certainly different and is much further forward than other canoes I have looked at.
Michael Brigg

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Spare boat. Needs a polish)

jimc

Re: What is an "Avalon built boat?

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:21 pm

The data I have is pretty clear that Avalon was a builder. It lists 101 as having builder Avalon/Nethercott and 102 as John Crisp/Nethercott. J Crisp seems to have owned 102 up to 1980. Make of that what you will!

gilles

Post by gilles » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 pm

hi,

Dicey is still in a good shape at st Malo (France) but her owner is the boss of a shipyard and have no time to sail her. If you want news you can try at :http://deriveurservices.com/

Gilles
HELL BELLS FRA33

michael Brigg

Post by michael Brigg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm

jimc wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:21 pm
The data I have is pretty clear that Avalon was a builder. It lists 101 as having builder Avalon/Nethercott and 102 as John Crisp/Nethercott. J Crisp seems to have owned 102 up to 1980. Make of that what you will!
Pretty muchthe information I have. I know that John Crisp built the boat /finished the build from a partially completed "Kit" from Avalon. So... I have a "home finished Avalon built Nethercott kit."

More information than I can get on the boat register!
Michael Brigg

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Spare boat. Needs a polish)

bobfic102

Post by bobfic102 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:28 pm

Uhmm.. . . I'm weighing in from the US because I bought US 102 in 1968 from an avid sailor who was moving to Australia. It came with class-issued USA sail numbers on the mainsail (US 102, they weren't using USA yet). Sailing it is a transcendental experience when conditions are right, but I'm aging out of dealing with the wrong conditions.