The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Logistics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:56 pm 

Well it's the close season unless you're hardy, so now is the time to ask Santa for that new kicker and Harken the Herald angels in preparation for the Summer.

I am all the more eager for having retired and am looking forward to getting more involved in my recreation..

Thoughts turn Eastwards at Christmas. No not Bethlehem, but the other B is for Berlin. A distant elephant for now, but approaching as inevitably as the Leeward mark upon an AC at Pwlhelli! :twisted:

I have made some preliminary enquiries and I reckon a 7.5 ton van could pack in @ 6 boats. (Not sure how many trailers, and I presume masts could be tied on top.

The event is listed from 23rd - 27th July so allowing a 3-day space either side to allow for packing up and travel that's@ 12 days hire.

Each driver on the continent needs a Tachograph, which costs @ £30-50. and the project would need perhaps 3 drivers, (All older sailors, and even younger Canoe sailors would have a 'C1' category rating on their full licence automatically under the licencing terms pre -2013)

The total hire cast for this would be @ £1600 perhaps less with a bit of shopping around Petrol on top, and Ferry costs @ £200

Some would need to share the boat transport, but fly to Berlin.

This might reduce travel costs to perhaps £300 per person with 6 boats in the back

Once in the venue, there is every possibility that the van might provide shelter within though I have my doubts about the roof space for more intrepid campers wishing to emulate the Americans! Whatever, it might certainly provide a cheap accommodation alternative.

Would anyone be interested?

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Project/restoration)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Logistics
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:37 am 

Michael,

Interesting idea.

My concern would be getting people who wish to drive a van of that size 1,000 miles unless those individuals are subsidised by those who travel by air.

There are organisations that will deliver boats and kit on a large trailer to an event. This will be much more expensive but for those who have a busy schedule (and the cash) this could be an easy option.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Logistics
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:20 pm 

The idea would be to add up the whole cost (including Rental, air fares, Ferry costs, Tacho cards, petrol/diesel and tolls) and divide by 6. The distance from Calais actually is only @540miles to Berlin so doable in a day. The drivers would need to apply for Tachometer cards at @ £30 - £50 each. We would need a mutual meeting point for load up on the outward journey and my estimates to allow time for this are generous, so rental charges are likely to drop.

For transport in Berlin we might even fit in a couple of bicycles.

I would estimate saving over individual travel of @ 50% or more. Bear in mind a Trailer adds alot to the cost of a ferry ticket (as dos hieght if you car top it) and you would have an extra 5 car tickets and petrol / Tolls / insurance etc.

Needs a bit of fine tuning on the package,

...But what it needs first is interest.

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Project/restoration)

Profile E-mail