The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Missing Archives ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm 

Where have all the archives gone that used to be on the web site? I can find back copies of 'Sliding Seat' only from 2008 and earlier, nothing since then. The archived results section is also very incomplete with almost a random choice of past events, some opens but not all past Nationals and Internationals. I was wanting to see if turn out at Pwllheli this year was the largest Worlds since when? Before posting my new entry, that GBR 295, 'Extended Play' is for sale, I wanted to check exactly where Paul Hignett had finished in the boat in the 2013 Europa Cup on Loch Lomond. No where on the web site could I find this information, nor on the IC International web site where a search for 'Europa Cup 2013' could not be found. Surely as a class we have not lost all our recent past history, or is it me as an oldie not coping with cyberspace?

I also noticed there are two places to advertise boats for sale: on the forum, but also on the main menu. How does one post an entry under this heading on the main menu where a newcomer to IC sailing is more likely to look?

Colin Newman

Post subject: Re: Missing Archives ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:44 pm 

Bugga,

just wrote a long answer to this.....and lost it into the ether. Struggling to find the energy to re-write it. So apologies for shorthand.

Don't think the Sliding seats were ever put online since I designed the site in 2008/9.

Think it is very unlikely that anything has been removed from the site. If it isn't there now, it is because it wasn't uploaded.

Jim Champ has done a sterling job to find and upload as many details of international events as possible onto the international site and Europa 2013 coverage is at: http://www.intcanoe.org/en/2013europa.p ... navigation

Yes, there are two places you can sell a boat. Either through the forum on the international site or through the UK website at intcanoe.org.uk.

Currently I am unsure who is editing the UK website. It is most probably in flux as we are looking at modernising the intcanoe.org.uk website in the near future. Hopefully, once that has been done, there will be a little more clarity.

I saw Paul Hignott at CVRDA event immediately after worlds. He certainly enjoyed his time sailing GBR295 and mentioned that he might see another IC in his future sailing. In the context of the conversation, I believe this was likely to mean a CVRDA eligible boat, but it might be worthwhile dropping him a line to say your boat is for sale.

Best wishes

eib

Lowly forum moderator
Classic & Vintage Racing Dinghy Association
http://www.cvrda.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 am 

Colin you've terrified me. I thought I had the navigation reasonably sorted on the International site, but clearly if you didn't find the 2013 europa it isn't good enough. Would you be able to send me a pm or write a post on what you did with intcanoe.org to look for the info and what you would expect? Sounds as if I need to review it.

Thanks, JimC

[Later] I suppose one thing that occurs to me is the reports are all linked from the pages titled "medal winners". I guess its not necessarily obvious that the list of medal winners would include links to he event reports. Perhaps those need retitling? Do you think that would help?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for a quick response from both you and Ed. As far as I recall On the International IC site I simply put in 'Europa Cup 2013' in the search box and got back 'nothing found'.

As I was looking for the full set of results knowing Paul finished about 8th or 9th, I would not have tried under 'Medal Winners'. Your suggestion would help but I guess you have an almost impossible job if you have to try and anticipate every heading a site user might enter. A general entry like 'Europa Cup results' or 'World Championship results' might be more helpful than 'medal winners'.

Thanks again and all the best, Colin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm 

Thanks Ed for your comments. If only the Sliding Seat Publications after 2008 could be found and uploaded onto the web site as this would contain most of the historical information UK IC sailors might want. I find I have hard copies of all Sliding Seat editions up to 2008 but after this date I recall they started to be sent out electronically. I never printed off any copies as I could read them on the screen. Presumably someone somewhere has the originals or paper copies so that these can be uploaded and not lost for good? Any suggestions from anyone?

Without this information how could anyone check who, say, won the Nationals in 2011 or for that matter who were all the National Champions over the years?

It now seems the very latest edition or two of the Sliding Seat was again sent out as a printed document in the post. It is a shame if the rest are lost in cyberspace.

All the best to you, Colin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

Colin Newman wrote:
HI guess you have an almost impossible job if you have to try and anticipate every heading a site user might enter.

Nevertheless that is the task I have to try and achieve.
Strangely the search doesn't seem to be working at all for me right now which is rather irritating.

thanks for the info, Jim C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 pm 

The search on the International website is now fixed. I've also changed the headings slightly as Colin suggested.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm 

Colin,

I'm still responsible for editing the UK site but frankly my time for doing this has diminished considerably over the last few years and we are looking at a refresh over then next year with Ed and Chris for the Uk site and Jim on International. It's a very time consuming process and one we may need to start paying for as it seems most of us don't have the free time to do it. We will be discussing how we move forward with this at the next few committee meetings.

We have starting moving the real time information like events, results, boat sales etc onto Facebook as it is much easier to do this and many people can load up information. As one who resisted using FB for a long time I do have sympathy for those who fear placing every part of their lives online but actually you can restrict your friends list and what information goes online by not actually posting anything. Give it a go by logging in with an account and searching for International Canoe.

With Sliding Seat none should have disappeared but I will check, as articles can have a time limit defined after which they are not seen. There weren't that many in electronic format which I had access to, I seem to remember and all the ones I had were made into pdf files and put on the website. Recent ones were only in paper format so we would need to scan them in. They had been limited deliberately to copies older than 2 years for general access and the committee had decided that only members of the association would be given access to the latest versions - clearly we haven't updated though since that decision was made.

If anyone has back copies and would like to scan them in, we can certainly add them to the library.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm 

Colin,

There were some more. I've loaded all the ones we have in electronic format, the last one being 2013.

Profile E-mail