Kite trouble

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Bananas

Kite trouble

Post by Bananas » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi All,
Help please!
When i bought Bananas Revenge the halyard was slipping though the cleat and the downhaul was a bit short, so i replaced the halyard. The new rope now grips ok in the pumps (both up and down). I have been adjusting the pre-tension elastic and the halyard length, but i can't seem to get the downhaul to be long enough to let the kite fly and still have enough tension to get the down pump to work properly, so i cant get the kite down quickly enough so that is doesn't hit the water. Ontop of that problem the pole comes in about 2/3rds of the way and then jams solid, so that i can't get the last bit of the kite stowed in the chute.
Are there any tips to sort it out as i am beginning to run out of idea's. Any thoughts on what could be jamming the pole in the tube. It locks solid and will only release if you let the tension off and twist the pole (not hugely practical).
tx Terry

CharlieC

Re: Kite trouble

Post by CharlieC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:06 am

Hi Terry

Regards the twisting of the pole, it is probably worth taking the pole launch mechanism out and putting it back together. You might find that you have a twist or knot in the system or one of the lines.

Regards elastic tension, most AC's have a system where you pull a line to tension the take-up elastic to make the pump system work properly (it's worth having a stopper knot in the line to stop you over tensioning). You then release this line once you have hoisted the kite to allow the down haul to be of sufficient length. Before you drop the kite you pull this line back on retensioning the take-up elastic to 'prime' the pump system - the elastic can then be left in tension until you have hoisted the kite at the next windward mark. Is this the system you have in your boat?

Have fun!

Charlie

steveb

Post by steveb » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:29 am

It's essential that
1) pole is not twisted....this can happen when towing. Before rigging kite in chute gently pull halyard hoist to fully extend the pole and observe if pole twists on way out. If it does it suggests a twist in the lines but not always. It may self correct.
Then with all halyard uncleated and reasonable amount of shock cord on hold the tack line and walk the pole back in fully. If it snags do it again but lift the tack line as you walk back and if it doesn't snag then read on!
If it jams at 2/3rd point it suggests that either the aluminium pole is bent a little which causes the Siamese running block to run misaligned and snag on the retreating carbon pole end usually caused by a 'trawl' and the ensuing physical haul to get the kite back in the chute,
or/and, the block is not snug against the pole and again provides for misalignment. This can be remedied by tightening up the binding line holding the block to the aluminium pole....it may even have snapped. Whilst you are at it carefully lube the pole and block.
When you remove the pole system check to see if there is any snubbing damage to the inboard end of the carbon pole ....this would confirm the issue if present.
I think shock cord tension is important also. If you repeat all the above without sufficient tension this also can cause the block to 'sag' and snag due to the down haul aspect of the line not supporting the aft end of the block.

Hope this helps

SteveAC310

steveb

Post by steveb » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:34 am

Terry,
I forgot to mention also check that the metal plate on the side of the block hasn't been deflected away from the cheek of the block caused by snagging and thereby making the situation worse. Also , obviously straighten the Ali pole if distorted.
Steve AC 310
Are you coming to Oxford?

Bananas

Post by Bananas » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks for the responses folks.
It looks like i need to get the spanners out and dismantle the launch system. Steve from what you describe it sounds quite likely that the aluminium pole is snagging the pole as it retracts. It feels like something colliding rather than a twist. At least now i have a list of things to look for.
Unfortunately i can't make it to Oxford, but if i can get the boat working and have enough time on the water this Autumn i will try and get to some events next year.
Cheers Terry