The International Canoe

The forum for the International Canoe
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Promotion of class (Ladies / Youths)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 am 

Having just read what the OK class are up to to encourage ladies and youths into the class (yachts/yachting website) has it ever been considered for the IC's to try and do anything similar?

With a helm weight range of 65kgs - 100kgs (recent worlds) the boat does fit for the majority it's just a case of getting people onto one to realise that a canoe is not the near impossible to sail loon machine (well slurps /OD's!), but relatively easy to sail though difficult to master.

With me now having a new rules, the slurp could be made available for opens/nationals etc

Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Promotion of class (Ladies / Youths)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 pm 

It is about making the first impression.

I have 2 IC OD's, one of which is a little fragile, (well, the foils are a bit) and the other, (a Carbon pyranha) will I hope after some tidying and renovation, be fit to thrash in any weather, and won't get too upset by a few scrathes from launching off a shingle beach.

I can confirm as a new IC sailor that it takes about a season to get to a point where I am confident up to force 5, and Force 6 is a scary thrill ride.

The natural fitness and strength of a reasonably athletic youth would cope easily with getting the boat upright, and looking at the average age and build of helms at the world champs, sggests that anything from young adult to well nourished pensioner is at home when afloat.

That said I do think that a fair amount of upper body strength is needed especially if capsized in heavier conditions.

When the weather is lighter (say Force 2-3) it is my plan to lend the pyranha to interested or youger members to develop some interest.

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Project/restoration)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:07 pm 

We have had women in the IC fleet in the past and in Germany a woman was national champion about ten years ago.

As a 'well nourished pensioner' I am now about 70kg, but in my prime, aged about 54, I was 65Kg and briefly only 60 Kg. In racing terms in various IC ODs I tended to do better in the force 3 to 4 days, but when it was force 5 to 6 I was still finishing most races and getting the boat up after capsizes with no problem. I remember one long distance, Stokes Bay Pursuit race where it was about 20 knots in the Solent and I was righting a capsize with no more difficulty than Rob Michael who would have been one of the heaviest in the fleet not far away. So 65Kg is fine for IC sailing. These days, at 75, my biggest problem after a capsize is having the strength and energy to climb onto the board from the water, once on the board righting the new rules IC is not a problem though not as easy in big waves.

These days, if I do something stupid and capsize in light winds my biggest problem with a new rules IC is not getting the boat upright, but finding it comes up so quickly that I have to climb aboard from the water, whereupon I pull the boat back over on top of me before getting back on deck. It is then an under the dinghy roll and try again. At my home club if I fall in in light winds I encourage the safety boat to hold my leeward shroud as I climb back in from the water! I rarely capsize in light winds and in stronger winds if I do end up in the water there is usually enough wind in the sails not to bring the boat over on top of me as I climb in. I have worked out that I am about the eighth oldest sailor in my club (Draycote Water) with the others sailing Solos, Flying Fifteens or Miracles. With all these oldies, in all types of boat, getting back on board after a capsize is the most challenging part of still being able to sail. Most stay ashore in winds above a force 4 as I now tend to do myself.

Cheers Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 pm 

This discussion about weight and strength is interesting, even if it is piggybacked onto the important topic of promoting the class to a wider audience.

I was attracted to the Canoe because of the freedoms to configure a boat to suit ones weight and physical strength rather than being stuck with what ever gear the builder supplies. As a very slight chap of 60kg, this starts to get quite important!

My experiences are much the same as Colin's in his 60-65kg days. I find upper body strength becomes the limiting factor as the breeze builds with the spinnaker halyard however I can get by in windier conditions by sailing with the 18m sail in a few knots less than might otherwise be expected. The performance is still there as being that much lighter, I don't need the horse power to stay competitive. The smaller spinnaker is just that much less effort in the hoists and drops.

I'm also fortunate in that Colin Brown (whose GBR299 I sail) built centerboards and cases of two different chords. I've been experimenting with the narrower board in windier conditions with some positive effects when it comes to turning corners, surviving the bigger gusts but just helping with de-powering in general.

I hope to see more lighter sailors out in ICs, my experiences have only been positive and there is plenty of help at hand with configuring boats to make them more manageable.

cheers,
Scott
AC GBR299

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 pm 

Colin Newman wrote:
These days, if I do something stupid and capsize in light winds my biggest problem with a new rules IC is not getting the boat upright, but finding it comes up so quickly that I have to climb aboard from the water,

Might only work with a Nethercott, but I used to get the plank right out, have one hand on the shroud and the other end on the plank, float my feet up to the gunwhale and haul myself in quickly feet first so I had some weight across the boat quickly. Low energy to get back on board, but lots of potential for getting tangled in string. Also I had a very simple fitout with cleats in single figures in that area.