Making a slow start

If you have a UK related question post it here.

michael Brigg

Making a slow start

Post by michael Brigg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi, I've been spending the last 2 years lurking after joining what seems a happy band of brothers with the aquisition of a boyhood dream.

I feel I must start reporting back to motivate myself! :?

So far I'm just getting the boat into a condition to be simply revarnished. I think there is little else to be done. Torment has been resting in a garage for the majority of her life. Put away for the winter some time in the early 1970's, she was kept there by his widow, untouched for the next 35years.

It would be a sin to convert to "A" class, and I would never have the necessary skills. I hope to join the back of the fleet perhaps this year or next! :)

This is the story so far... (Note, Photo bucket puts the photos in from the most recent to the oldest)
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... 20Torment/
Michael Brigg

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Spare boat. Needs a polish)

wee mcp

Re: Making a slow start

Post by wee mcp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Michael,

Wow, Torment is looking good. It helps the motivation when a “project” begins with something beautiful – that hull is in stunning condition.

My worry is that you seem to be retaining “the bacon-slicer”- the stainless strap over the carriage. I would seriously suggest that you find a way of getting rid of it as it can be bloody-well lethal as I and others have found out personally – it ain’t called the bacon-slicer for nought!. :wink:

Back in the mists of time I resurrected K137 from the dead. After a dozen or so outings and nearly losing various parts of my anatomy the slicer came off. :shock:

I’ll have a look to see if I have any snaps of how I got round the problem of retaining the seat but the fact that you have a vertical component built in from the centreboard case to the carriage will make it easier to come up with a solution.

Keep up the good work.

Ian McP
"Sometimes its a boat, sometimes more of an accident .. It all depends" - Pooh Bear
IC GBR305

bobfic102

Post by bobfic102 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:18 am

I have a 1960s Avalon that looks identical to "Torment". . . including the bacon slicer. How have folks dealt with that? . . perhaps some links to photos? . .

wee mcp

Post by wee mcp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 am

To: bobfic102

Hi Bob there's a "PM" waiting for you

Ian
"Sometimes its a boat, sometimes more of an accident .. It all depends" - Pooh Bear
IC GBR305

michael Brigg

Post by michael Brigg » Sat May 07, 2016 12:47 pm

The 1st part of the project is now at an end. (Just a few fiddly bits to discover in the faffage stage...)

I've documented most of it on http://www.cvrda.org in various posts. Now I am finished I hope I can get to the training day in Weymouth.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Torment is I think 50 next year. I plan to launch soon, though I get cold feet every time I try to take her down to the sailing club. (Stokes Bay... that will make a fleet of 3

The main initial issue is going to be insurance. I will need a certificate of condition and I wonder if anyone in the association can provide this without need for a full marine survey. (I have found that Noble are accommodating and happy to accept a simple statement of condition.)

In terms of weight and sails, she will not be competitive, but I shall be fulfilled as any other Canoe sailor. My plan is to start in original spec, (As she is currently) and make gradual improvements in technique. I have a short "pussy" tiller to start.

I shall try to make a canvas cover sheath to make the bacon slicer less like a surgical instrument, and I have Hockey shin guards ready for my first attempts... :?
Michael Brigg

K102 "Torment." Cold moulded Nethercott
K203 "Moonshadow" Carbon "Pyranha" Nethercott (Spare boat. Needs a polish)

Yabsinthe

Post by Yabsinthe » Mon May 09, 2016 12:09 pm

VERY NICE BOAT