GBR219- Name?

If you have a UK related question post it here.

simonmw

GBR219- Name?

Post by simonmw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I sail IC GBR219. Recently had a chat with Rob Michael, who thinks the original owner, or one of the earlier owners, might have been a chap called Mark Goodchild.

Just wondering if anyone can remember/confirm this? My reason for asking is that when I originally bought the boat about 6 years or so ago, she came with a name so ridiculous as to actually be more offensive than excessive and gratuitous public use of the F word- which I promptly removed. Being of a traditional and slightly superstitious nature, I thought it might be an idea to find out what the original name was, and possibly reinstate it. (Unless it was the original name which I removed, in which case I won't)

If anyone can remember, or knows how to contact someone who might, I'd be grateful to hear from them.

Simon.

jimc

Re: GBR219- Name?

Post by jimc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:33 pm

With any luck Mark should chip in, but in a list of Canoes I have 219 is listed as having been built by or for Mark Goodchild, and at some stage was named "Something Happened".

Mark Goodchild

Post by Mark Goodchild » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 am

Thats right, the first boat that I built in my living room from a kevlar/foam shell I bought from Rob/Chris powles. I named her Something Happened after the song that was often played on the radio during construction.
Nationals and Europa cup winner.
Good to know she is being looked after and used.
Mark
“Cunning Stunts”

simonmw

Post by simonmw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks Mark! 'Something Happened' is growing on me. And after the refit she's just had, it's quite fitting for altogether different reasons. If you're interested, send me your email address and I'll send you some pics of how she's looking now?

Not too sure as yet, but hoping I might be able to bring her down to kent for the round sheppey race this september. Do you think you'll be there this year?

Simon.

chrishampe

Post by chrishampe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:01 pm

What date is round sheppey? Always wanted to do it, but it is a long way for me. if there will be other ic's i will try harder to make it.

simonmw

Post by simonmw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:45 am

Its saturday 3rd September- for me it does clash with a local regatta, but at the moment sheppey is winning, as I could do the saturday sheppey race and then back for the sunday racing locally. Likewise for me, I think the clincher will be whether there are other canoes likely to be there. Another friend of mine who sails IC GBR235 is thinking of doing it I believe, so there might be at least two. I might actually start another thread about that...
Simon.