Alan Powell, are you there?

If you have a UK related question post it here.

Chris Maas

Alan Powell, are you there?

Post by Chris Maas » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:46 am

Hi Alan, I am interested in learning about your old IC K203. I saw a picture of it and it looks very innovative. Would you share your thoughts about some of the more unusual features? Particularly the main leech profile, double spreader rig, very low main boom and the jib boom.
Thanks!

Chris Maas

Re: Alan Powell, are you there?

Post by Chris Maas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Well okay, I guess not.

This is the boat I'm talking about. Any comments?
Attachments
2328804349_77db743e9f.jpg
2328804349_77db743e9f.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 6744 times

wee mcp

Post by wee mcp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Chris,

Yep that's the boat!,
I spoke to Alan on the phone this week to let him know you were enquiring.
He has some internet problems ('can't get enough steam up to power his old interweb thingie , ..or something).
Also he and Francis are in the middle of planning a big adventure and have lot's to do....... things to plan etc

If he dosn't come back with a reply before Christmas I'll try to put my humble interperation on things for you. Hopefully That should spur him into replying!!!

In the meantime I'll try to dig out a few more photo's of Moonshadow (K203).

best regards,

Ian McP
..from a very cold and foggy Scotland
"Sometimes its a boat, sometimes more of an accident .. It all depends" - Pooh Bear
IC GBR305

Asbo

Post by Asbo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Chris Hi! Sorry about my absence. Ian did alert me to your message. We have just heard that we are being posted to Zambia for two years on a development project. In February - so lots to do!

As regards K203. Firstly the main. Dick Batt cut this for me. I had the idea based on soaring birds and crop spraying aircraft! Light aircraft had their wings tipped with aluminium "Feathers" in order to lower their stall speed and so be able to spray more precisely. The original innovators got their idea from soaring birds, eagles, vultures, condor et al. I figured that at the very low relative speed s that our rigs operate in that something to eliminate tip losses /vortices etc might work.

When you view telltales flying they tend to be at right angles to the leech, ie pointing up at the top of the sail. On my sail the flow was markedly horizontal. I was never really happy with the head shape having originally envisaged a vertical slot. However the sail performed no better or worse than a conventional one in practice. I had no control over the upper leech and thought about a fine leech line but this wiuld have bent the "feathers" the wrong way. Perhaps a conventional sail with added feathers supported by battens would work better?

On the upside other sailors would ststop and stare in disbelief as I went by, on the downside I was very obvious on the start line. No hiding place!

The wishbone jib boom was a good idea but based on bad mechanics! The jib luff is in tension - not compression like a mast. So any outhaul put a big kink in the luff. I tried cutting a jib to allow for this but it never set properly. To get this excellent gadget to work we would probably have to revisit the Uffa interpretation of a two masted rig ie a solid jib foil. Come to think of it a wing foil in carbon with a flexible "jib" might be the way forward here!

At Plymouth someone who claimed to be a researcher for an Americas Cup syndicate wasted a roll of film on the main! If it encouraged other competitors to go and shred their sails I might have felt it had given me an advantage! I can't afford the time or carbon to make a jib foil but just remeber you read about it here first!

Best wishes for the Christmas season and good sailing in 2010!

Alan

Asbo

Post by Asbo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi again! Like a bus you wait for ages and two come at once!
Double spreader rig - I'd love to say it was all a cunning plan but it was just expediency using a 505 mast I think which had broken. I didn't want to do further damage by drilling out existing fittings so I just added spreaders where I really wanted them and left the originals! Same story with the gooseneck height!!

Great opportunity to bull.... completely wasted!

Asbo

Post by Asbo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Final word Ian. Sometimes its a boat - Nope - its an accident!

Chris Maas

Post by Chris Maas » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Alan. That leech is an amazing sight. That it was no slower than the conventional rig in what sounds like its un-optimised form is interesting.
I'm toying with a jib boom right now that looks much like yours though I am not asking it to do anything upwind.
Glad to hear you are working on a new design. There seems to be some really encouraging activity over there, new IC wise.
Good luck with the project in Zambia. I don't suppose you'll be taking Asbo? Hope you can make it to Travemunde in '11.

cc284

Post by cc284 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:29 pm

That is an impresive sail!
GBR 284 (AC) - 'Outlaw'